IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
John Brown
Gulf91
6 posters

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID Empty COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID

Post by Gulf91 Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:38 am

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0003_zps2049772a

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0004_zpsc35c3fc4

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0005_zpsee80ed05

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0006_zpsbb5bcd51

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0007_zps0d4acb73

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0008_zps15296d60

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0009_zps574fdb66
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID Empty Re: COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID

Post by Gulf91 Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:43 am

Sorry for the poor pics,trying to get them up before I shoot off to work.
    John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-09-11
    Number of posts : 234

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID Empty Re: COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID

Post by John Brown Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Hard to tell from the pix, but isn't that the ACU pattern?
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:16 pm

I do apologise for the rubbish pics but pretty sure its USAF Tiger pattern?
    John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by John Brown Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Gulf91 wrote:I do apologise for the rubbish pics but pretty sure its USAF Tiger pattern?
    I may be old, but I'm not that dunderheaded, yet Smile

ACU (Army Combat Uniform) pattern is the design for a specific garment type instituted by and primarily used by the U. S. Army.

UCP (Universal Camouflage Pattern) is the camouflage pattern used with the ACU pattern (Multicam is also used with the ACU pattern).

"ACU" is not a camouflage description.

ACU pattern:
    COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID ?di=G9CJ

The garment you picture appears to be an ACU produced in the Air Force's digital tiger stripe camouflage pattern.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:54 pm

John,in that case Im the dumbass as around here all US Army items in the digicam type cam is referred to as ACU EG ACU helmet cover,ACU vest etc.

Sorry for any confusion.
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:06 pm

Gulf91 wrote:John,in that case Im the dumbass as around here all US Army items in the digicam type cam is referred to as ACU EG ACU helmet cover,ACU vest etc.

Sorry for any confusion.
    That's how most people refer to them... I know that UCP is the official designation for that pattern, but for what it's worth, I've never heard anyone refer to anything as UCP. All the soldiers I know just say ACU "X" (be it vest, hat, trousers, goretex, etc.), as everyone knows what it means. ACU has colloquially come to mean the pattern itself.

I know first-hand that no one in the Air Force calls our camo digital tiger stripe, we just say ABUs and ABU-patterned whatever. Just like no one calls the "OEF Camo Pattern" by its name of OCP, we just call them MultiCams. Laughing

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:42 am

Camo_fiend wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:John,in that case Im the dumbass as around here all US Army items in the digicam type cam is referred to as ACU EG ACU helmet cover,ACU vest etc.

Sorry for any confusion.
    That's how most people refer to them... I know that UCP is the official designation for that pattern, but for what it's worth, I've never heard anyone refer to anything as UCP. All the soldiers I know just say ACU "X" (be it vest, hat, trousers, goretex, etc.), as everyone knows what it means. ACU has colloquially come to mean the pattern itself.

I know first-hand that no one in the Air Force calls our camo digital tiger stripe, we just say ABUs and ABU-patterned whatever. Just like no one calls the "OEF Camo Pattern" by its name of OCP, we just call them MultiCams. Laughing

Cheers Ben,so Im not a dumbass after all Razz Razz
    John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by John Brown Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:47 pm

Like my momma used to tell me: "If Bobby and Janie call black people [ethnic slurs], does that make it okay for you to call them that, too?"

Language skills are important, as we've just witnessed.

When the Army finalizes their decision for a new camo, and starts producing ACUs in the new pattern, is the UCP still going to be described as "ACU"?

I guess that since this is military gear board, I'd hoped that folks would know the difference between ACU and UCP, and not just lump it together like they do on Facebook and other places where the users don't know much (if at all) about camouflage or military subjects while ignorantly running their mouths about it.

I'm on a Kalashnikov enthusiast's board, and we give the guys there a hard time that call everything ever produced at a Kalashnikov plant an "AK-47". On that board, we expect folks to know the difference.

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID ?di=3CYT

Now, back on topic: Who would be issued this type of garment? Pilots? Aircrew?

Can we get some better pix?
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:28 pm

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0004_zps4bcba8a2

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0005_zps62913c7a

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0006_zpsba4cfa60

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0007_zps11ef2245

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0010_zpse9cd1e7b

COAT,TACTICAL,FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORM(TDFU)-ARAMID DSCF0011_zps794b2175
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:30 pm

I'm telling you from first hand experience that soldiers call it ACU in reference to the pattern and not the cut of uniform. They also still know the difference. Yes, it's not technically correct, but there's enough acronyms and everyone knows what it is, and their jargon reflects that. People called the old camo BDUs, not M81 Woodland Camouflage, it's just easier than using two terms for the same thing.

saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Not to stir anything, but how would one go about referring to the 'AF digital tigerstripe' camo on ABU's?
    Is it called just that, as I believe ABU, like ACU, would be the cut and type of the USAF uniform?

Just to be correct Very Happy
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:06 pm

The proper designation for the Air Force camo pattern is s***, erm, digital tiger stripe, yes. Laughing The style is ABU (which in terms of cut aside from a couple extra pockets) is nearly identical to the layout of the old BDUs.

But we just call it ABU "X", be it hat, parka, trousers, etc. It refers to pattern, and the uniform all in one. A universal term, I guess.

saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Cheers Ben, and no worries, I suspected as much Very Happy

I've had a hard time designating all my 'native' camo schemes correctly myself; I guess I was looking for the quick fix to all things ABU... Thanks again!
    Kan
    Kan
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Justin Inman
    Registration date : 2010-06-25
    Number of posts : 86

Post by Kan Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Very nice find, I've seen a pic or two of these, but never en-mass. I believe flight surgeons wore these at one point, or other airborne medical personnel. Where did you come across this at?
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2012-04-23
    Number of posts : 626

Post by sh4pak Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Hmmmm.... "antistatic" fiber-content. That piques my curiosity, as I have not run across it, yet.

Possibly EOD?
    John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by John Brown Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:59 pm

sh4pak wrote:Hmmmm.... "antistatic" fiber-content. That piques my curiosity, as I have not run across it, yet.

Possibly EOD?
    More likely for aviation fuel handlers.

Sparks can touch off spilled fuel (on sleeve cuffs, for instance)
    Kan
    Kan
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Kan Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:50 am

Fuel handlers typically wear a coverall when fueling, as I've been told by a POL buddy of mine. A good general thing to go by is if you see more velcro than for a rank tab or name tape USAF wise, it didn't belong to a regular airman.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Kan wrote:Fuel handlers typically wear a coverall when fueling, as I've been told by a POL buddy of mine. A good general thing to go by is if you see more velcro than for a rank tab or name tape USAF wise, it didn't belong to a regular airman.

Not being that clued up USAF wise,what is a regular airman?

Thanks
    Kan
    Kan
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Kan Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Maintainers, Office guys, and the like.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Kan wrote:Maintainers, Office guys, and the like.

Thanks for the clarification.

So it looks more than likely pilot,Aircrew etc?
    Kan
    Kan
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Kan Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:38 pm

As I brought up above, yes. The few pics I've seen of these are them being worn by aircrew medical personnel.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am