IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
loski
CollectinSteve
saltefanden
7 posters

%#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons?

saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

%#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons? Empty %#*£@:=€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons?

Post by saltefanden Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am

Well, bugger!

I finally secured Canadian DPM jump smocks from both Peerless and Ambridge & Thompson respectively, and in my large-long size too.

First time I went over the A&T coat and worked all zippers and buttons, both 'female' button clips that secures the beaver tail to the back, came right out of the fabric with broken fasteners Evil or Very Mad
    Now I'm affraid to even try and open pockets and sleeves that are opened with the same type buttons!

Does anyone know how or where to find fresh ones for replacing, please?
    I believe the small stamps says 'Klik it' on the metal buttons - should have be called 'Rip it' Very Happy

Again, all help will be appreciated and awarded!

Cheers!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

%#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons? Empty Re: %#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons?

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:15 am

Unfortunately that is the norm for these snaps Sad Best thing to hope for is a damaged jacket that still has snaps on them AND hope that nobody else with para smocks sees it first. Because I think we all need at least one (I know I do!).

Steve
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

%#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons? Empty Re: %#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons?

Post by saltefanden Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 am

Thank you for your speedy reply, Steve! Though the answer was rather depressing Very Happy

Sad to hear this is a common problem, especially since both producers of the smocks seem to have delivered on quality with these smocks. Darn it...
    But thank you for the info and the heads up!
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Post by loski Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 am

I think you can replace them with lift the dot snaps available on Ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lift-The-Dot-LTD-Socket-Back-Plate-canopy-hood-x-10-/190867432485?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item2c7095e425
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:20 am

Hi Graham,

That's not a bad bid at all!! I'll try it out and let you all know how it went!

And Graham, we need to trade something again soon, so I may include a few tasty trinkets for your effort! PM me and we'll see what we can do for each other!
    Cheers!!!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:22 am

Hey, that's not bad! Assuming they are the same size, though. The ones on the Canadian smocks are a bit larger than the types I see on boating stuff. And they don't appear to come in black, which might be a problem because if they are plated with a shiny coating then black spraypaint will not stick.

Steve
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:32 am

Again, I promise to update everybody on this little experiment, and should have some clips to spare, if they fit, and I then promise to throw one after you, Steve!

All the best and I'll be back with results, possibly in the 'Canada' section.

Cheers all!!
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:50 pm

Was also going to suggest trying the LTD fixings but from memory the Canadian ones(my smock is packed away) are of the same type/idea but a different shape and size?
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:29 am

I promise to show the results, regardless.
    But I see the eBay seller sold out of the LTD clips yesterday, so I guess Steve was right, that there are more out there with the same problem Very Happy

I love this forum, cheers all!!
    filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:30 pm

I'm in the same boat, need one snap. I don't think the LTD ones are compatible - they look closer to the WWII types. From memory the Canadian ones are a tad larger and markedly different. Perhaps a solution would be to approach the original manufacturer's and ask a.) if they would have any spares, or b.) If not, can they refer us to the hardware supplier.
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:11 pm

You broke the snaps on your minty Peerless smock!? Sad
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:05 pm

Again as my Canadian smock seems to have turned invisible at the moment,have any owners checked their LTD type studs for a maker,if so try doing a Google search?

Just a thought as it would be a shame to possibly ruin a smock trying to "botch" a fix with the LTD studs.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:19 pm

I think the commercially available ones won't work. The part that breaks is the outside, black portion. Specifically the tabs break. So even if the inside piece is compatible with the ones on eBay, I don't see how that does much good.

What I don't understand is how they could make these for more than a dozen years with the same extremely weakly designed part.

Steve
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:40 am

Hi Raff, the Peerless that came from you is fine and dandy, it was the Ambridge & Thompson one that is teasing me.
    I will ofcourse try and see whether the snaps fit and are compatible before I 'botch' the smock.
    We'll see how it goes!
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Well, just a quick update or 'bump' on my old thread about broken snaps on Canadian DPM smocks.

I recieved a full baggy of the boat type suggested by Graham (thought I ordered 10, and I did; 10 x 10, but they were cheap), and they look very similar to the original 'Klik-it' buttons.

I've tried clicking on the 'female' part of the snap, the one with the tabs, and it works fine with the 'male' part still on the jacket.
    The new part in the pics is obviously the one on the left, broken original in the middle and the receiving bracket or clip to the right.

%#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons? Img_0610

%#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons? Img_0611

But what does anyone recon I should do?
    Should I try and give the new snap a light rub with sandpaper, give it a spray of matte black paint and 'botch' the jacket, as Gulf called it, or should I accept things as they are, and just buy a boat to find some use for my 100 new snaps? Neutral
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi Ronnie
    I would try roughing the new snaps with a fine sand paper and spray with a light coat of metal primer then a light coat of matt black paint. There are some cemicals out there that will turn the roughed chrome black but I cant rember what chemicals they are.
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi Graham, yes a primer after sanding is probably not such a bad idea!
    I think I'll go for it tomorrow and see what happens.

If it ends up looking just half decent and I don't **** up the reattaching to my smock, there will be free Lift The Dot snaps for everyone who needs them with next trade or sale Very Happy

Cheers!
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:37 am

Hi Ronnie
    If you know anyone with a sand blasting cabinet that would be ideal you would just have to give them a blood wash to remove any sand residue.
    Graham
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:02 am

Hi Graham, I think I'll just do a bit of handycraft on the first ones, but both my local painters shop and the hobby shop didn't have metal primer, so it won't be today I can show off any results, I'm afraid.
    But thanks for all your comments and interest!
    Geardardo
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2014-10-05
    Number of posts : 32

%#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons? Empty Hi

Post by Geardardo Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:36 am

Take for US Korea mag pouch?Look the same.
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:01 pm

I considered that, but the very tabs that broke on the Canadian smock buttons would break in such an operation. Thanks for the thought though!
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Ronnie
    Try an auto repair supply shop for metal primer
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Tah-daaah!  cheers

%#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons? Img_1028

%#*£@:=\€!!! Spare Canadian jump smock buttons? Img_1029

I followed Grahams instructions; lightly sanded the LTD-buttons (the little protrusion or 'navels' got almost sanded away), then a light metal primer and finally two coats of satin black, heat resistant spray paint.
    I then lightly bended the tabs outwards, for an easier merge with the original, outward receiver. I placed the jacket on a work bench, positioned the two pieces and covered both with felt, then gave it a good whack with a hard PVC hammer, and voilá.

I've even tested it a few times without issue, but I highly recommend everybody owning a similar RCAF smock to use extreme caution, possibly with leverage from tongs or a putty knife, when opening their buttons, or leaving them alone all together Very Happy
    Thank you Graham for your input and interest!

Remember to make me include a few LTD-buttons in the future, to any of you when trading or dealing with me, should you need some for your smocks!
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi Ronnie
    That is a nice job that LTD looks like it has been there since it came out of the factory
    Well done boet
    Graham
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:24 am

Excellent job!

Today I bought a 1970s type with covered heads and there's a number missing. Which means Ronny's solution won't work for me. Damn.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:42 am