IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Help with pocket patch on Vietnam era shirt

Gungadd
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-05-28
    Number of posts : 340

Help with pocket patch on Vietnam era shirt Empty Help with pocket patch on Vietnam era shirt

Post by Gungadd Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:16 am

Any ideas. {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Help with pocket patch on Vietnam era shirt Image38}
    dee222
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-04-03
    Number of posts : 89

Help with pocket patch on Vietnam era shirt Empty Re: Help with pocket patch on Vietnam era shirt

Post by dee222 Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:20 am

Hi
    It looks like your badge is the U.S. Army 7th Infantry Division order of the bayonet from the Korean War.

Cheers
    Dave
    Gungadd
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Help with pocket patch on Vietnam era shirt Empty Re: Help with pocket patch on Vietnam era shirt

Post by Gungadd Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks Dave. Can you tell me anything about the award and the shirt
    dee222
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-04-03
    Number of posts : 89

Post by dee222 Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:39 pm

The shirt is the 1964 pattern 3rd pattern fatigue shirt used till late 60 early 70's ,The fatigue shirt/jacket was first issued in 1952 it was modified during its production by lifting
    up the top button to expose less of the white t shirt under it etc (if you want full spec just ask) . The order of the bayonet has a couple of tails to it's origin . After the Korean
    war the 7th infantry did border patrol which resulted in contact with enemy under normal condition such actions would merit the combat infantry badge but as this was a policing action the combat infantryman's badge was refused so the order of the bayonet was awarded in its place it is completely unofficial award. The 2nd tail is that it was
    during the Vietnam war that the 7th was still in Korea was doing patrol which ended in contact with enemy as it was still a policing action no award of CIB was aloud this
    was given in stead it was quite often seen in the 31st regiments units as elements of the 7th had been sent to Vietnam and were earning the CIB so it go's hope this help's

Gungadd
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Gungadd Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:15 pm

Thanks for the help
    1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:24 pm

I have 2 metal ones. one is newer, possibly 60's era, the other is on a Korean War era ike jacket. The 7th was called the Bayonet Division during and after Korea un-officially a vet told me once. I'll look for pictures of the badges.

Fins

Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Gungadd Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:48 pm

Would love to see them
    1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Here's the badge. I guess I don't have a picture of the uniform yet. I'll have to take one.

Fins...

Help with pocket patch on Vietnam era shirt Scan0013_zpsdf7e507e

Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Gungadd Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:14 pm

Nice

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am