IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

What do I have here? WW2 style UK Windproof smock

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock Empty What do I have here? WW2 style UK Windproof smock

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:08 pm

I've had this thing for a very, very long time.  I've never known what to make of it.  It's made from genuine Belgian canvas type Brush camouflage cloth, but it is the style of a British WW2 Windproof smock.

The basic item is professionally made.  See the examples of the attention to detail on the inside.  It's solid work that screams "factory made".  Not only that, but the quality and attention to detail indicates it is not purely commercial. But the hood is a roughly done "field made" modification.  I have no idea what it might be, but I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of a similar one in Borsarello's "European" book (I don't know where mine is right now).

First shot is of the front (it is a pull over)
    Second shot shows the lower hem with drawstring and size tag
    Third shot shows detail of interior pocket reinforcement
    Fourth shot shows the inside of the hood's neck area

What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock File_zps90fdd876

What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock File_zps0e4a3063

What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock File_zps82238003

What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock File_zpsf8849c0e

Steve
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1407

What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock Empty Re: What do I have here? WW2 style UK Windproof smock

Post by Wolverine Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:41 am

It does look to be quite well made, but I have never seen one before in my Belgian travels. Then again, there seems to be an endless number of variations of Belgian camouflage smocks.
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 446

What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock Empty Re: What do I have here? WW2 style UK Windproof smock

Post by fourtycoats Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:20 pm

I have a similar Belgian smock. It is made of lightweight material in the same WW2 UK "over the head" style. I will find it and post pics. I think it has labels.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Ooo! Sounds like a promising lead.

Yeah, I've never seen another one like this except for the one in Borsarello's NATO book. Which, if I could find it, would be nice to compare against!

Steve
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3414

Post by vonstuck Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:41 pm

another here, found in my city around 25 years ago

http://vonstuckcamouflage.free.fr/various-camouflages.php
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 446

Post by fourtycoats Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:53 am

Steve, I checked my older Belgian Smocks and I do not have one like the one you showed. All mine have zip necks. However, one of the ones I pulled out was so nice and crisp that I thought I would share a photo!

What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock <a href=What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock Dscf1710" />

What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock <a href=What do I have here?  WW2 style UK Windproof smock Dscf1711" />]

user6075ef730fa82 likes this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:01 pm

Thanks for the follow up.

For sure it is not Belgian Army or Navy issue. Of that I'm completely sure of. It could be some sort of limited mission specific item, but I doubt that the Belgians would pattern it after WW2 Windproof.

The small military style size tag in the hem, plus the obvious quality construction (not the hood!!), makes me think that this was not a commercial item or a one off. The best guess so far is that it was for Spanish forces, but even then I'm hesitant since the cut doesn't conform to photographs of them in use. The ones that do are of really poor quality, not like this one at all.

In my view this is still a mystery item with direct ties to some sort of government force.

Steve
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:25 pm

Found this thread while Googling something else. Thought I'd update it to say that someone, in a different thread, identified this as a legitimate unit made item from the 1950s. Pictures of in use can be found in this thread:

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t13470-my-belgian-collection

Steve

ripcord likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:00 pm