IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

European (mostly) unknowns to ID, webbing straps, pouches etc.

michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 795

European (mostly) unknowns to ID, webbing straps, pouches etc. Empty European (mostly) unknowns to ID, webbing straps, pouches etc.

Post by michelwijnand Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:25 pm

I bought a random gear lot, and there's some stuff I don't know, any ideas on these?
    Not all things in the photos are unknowns, I'll mention which are.

Rubberized bag top left, string tie at the top, zipper at the bottom.
    Shoulderbag with paint splatters.
    Sling at far right.
    Wide strap with big buckle in the center.
    ST-34 marked strap/sling.
    Sling thing way at the bottom.

European (mostly) unknowns to ID, webbing straps, pouches etc. Dsc03810

Rubberized bag in the center, I only know it's German since it has a 12 in the NSN. No idea what it's for.
    Green bag at the right, maybe a wash bag? Closes with a velcroed flap.

European (mostly) unknowns to ID, webbing straps, pouches etc. Dsc03811

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

European (mostly) unknowns to ID, webbing straps, pouches etc. Empty Re: European (mostly) unknowns to ID, webbing straps, pouches etc.

Post by Wolverine Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:11 pm

The bag with the paint splatter is US Army, for M3 SMG magazines. I believe that these were intended originally as part of the equipment carried in armoured vehicles for use by crew members if the need arose. Thus, they were not necessarily carried in the field as ordinary equipment.

The wide strap with the alligator buckle is of the type commonly used to fasten fuel cans in their holders on US pattern vehicles, but this could also have many other purposes, mostly vehicle related.

The ST-34 sling belongs with US Army signal corps equipment. There is a vast range of different types of sling and straps with ST prefixes which belong to the signal corps.

What's the story with the bag that has the Canadian subdued stencil marking? It doesn't look like any Canadian-type bag that I am familiar with.
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

European (mostly) unknowns to ID, webbing straps, pouches etc. Empty Re: European (mostly) unknowns to ID, webbing straps, pouches etc.

Post by michelwijnand Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Great, thanks!
    That's a few down, lots more to go.

Also, the US pouch has some writing stencilled on the front, can't make out a lot, just the word "clip" in the 3rd line of it.

The grey bag is a Dutch KLu gasmask bag, someone probably thought it fashionable to add the Canadian logo and RCAF on the side
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Some versions of the ammunition bags have 'spare clips' stencilled in black paint or ink. Sometimes there is also a drawing number for the item. From what I have been told, those ammunition bags, and the M3 SMGs, were carried in US armoured vehicles up to the 1980s or even possibly the 1990s.

I thought the bag with the maple leaf might be for a K mask, but wasn't sure. Someone went to a lot of trouble to make that stencil.
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by michelwijnand Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Some wasted effort that was Razz

Too bad the pouch is not a fieldworn item, I don't collect tanker's gear
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Keep in mind though that those bags may have been used by irregular forces in Vietnam.
    belgium_one
    belgium_one
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Seb
    Registration date : 2015-11-10
    Number of posts : 471

Post by belgium_one Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Hello Smile

on the 2nd photo , the pistol belt on top is a "ceinturon F1" from french army
    it's a late fabrication

Salutations
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by michelwijnand Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi,

Yeah I know, I have several generations of it already Smile

Of that photo only the 2 mentioned items are unknown

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:38 pm