IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
vonstuck
Tophe
saltefanden
Flecktarn Australia
bond007a1
CollectinSteve
Philip
11 posters

Flecktarn-different color versions

Harbard

Registration date : 2012-06-04
    Number of posts : 6

Flecktarn-different color versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Flecktarn-different color versions

Post by Harbard Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:58 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Keep in mind that the 5 Farbe Troppentarn (for warm climates) uniform looks very different from the standard 5 Farbe Flecktarn. The colors of the 5 Farbe Troppentarn are "muted" compared to the standard type. The Oberleutnant's hat, in the above picture, looks to be from wear/washing.

It's funny... I have more of 5 Farbe Flecktarn stuff than probably any other single pattern in my collection, but I can't tell one from the other Very Happy

Steve

Oh, well both my jacket and pants has the blend of 65 cotton / 35 polyester, The hot weather would have 80% Cotton and 20% polyester, right? But the jacket i have is the one with two chest pockets only and vent holes.

It's funny how i can get so exited regarding camo coloration - In the real world the small difference between 1990s dark coloration and today's 2005 light camo coloration is very, very small, my "brighter" pants will get dirty and go darker Wink However, my hobby is to find the best camo for my location to work all-around ^^

Can someone confirm the blend on the hot weather uniform and the Regular uniform? / Thanks

Also I'm gonna do a couple of camo tests for you guys, regarding the Flecktarn. I hope some of you will also do some camo tests for Flecktarn in your area/country.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6916

Flecktarn-different color versions - Page 2 Empty Re: Flecktarn-different color versions

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:25 am

The Troppentarn cloth is also 65% Cotton 35% Poly, with the addition of an anti-mosquito chemical treatment. Although it has the same percentages as normal Flecktarn, the cloth looks and feels different. If you find a jacket with mesh in the armpits and no zipper, then it's Troppentarn.

Steve
    Harbard

Post by Harbard Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:16 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:The Troppentarn cloth is also 65% Cotton 35% Poly, with the addition of an anti-mosquito chemical treatment. Although it has the same percentages as normal Flecktarn, the cloth looks and feels different. If you find a jacket with mesh in the armpits and no zipper, then it's Troppentarn.

Steve

Ah thanks for the info.

I saw a dude this day, wearing Flecktarn field jacket, no hood but still lower pockets? Is the hood on the parka removable?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:24 pm

There is only one model of field jacket and there is no removable hood. He must have cut it off, which isn't surprising. The hood is rarely of practical value in my opinion.

Steve
    Harbard

Post by Harbard Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:30 am

Okey, thanks!

OH! HAHA - Is that even the German flag :O? .. lol

I found this picture on a site:

Flecktarn-different color versions - Page 2 551214_10150818470621362_1614025180_n

And i really thought it was the Danish army at first, when looking very fast... till i stopped and saw the ?german flag(?) what flag is that?..
    I couldn't get any information about this pic, don't know if it's older or 2012 new, as far as i know i haven't seen this kind of green coloration flecktarn before. I'm not sure if it's that green or just the vegetation behind them ( Yellowish Spring ) or the camera is tricking me. Whatever it is, this picture got my attention! - Anyone know something about this picture?

/ Harbard
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:50 am

Lithuanian Very Happy Standard uniform for the last... hmmm... 10 years at least, probably more like 15.

Steve
    Harbard

Post by Harbard Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:42 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Lithuanian Very Happy Standard uniform for the last... hmmm... 10 years at least, probably more like 15.

Steve

Haha! Thank you mate Very Happy I had NO idea about that Smile

- Camo test pictures will soon be uploaded -
    Flecktarn Australia
    Flecktarn Australia
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-11-17
    Number of posts : 66

Post by Flecktarn Australia Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 am

Here we go guys, here is proof that somewhere along the line the Bundeswehr changed the colours of flecktarn.

This first pic is a side by side comparison of a brand new, unworn, unwashed, unissued pair of BW flecktarn pants, manufactured 2009 and a brand new, unissued, unworn, unwashed BW flecktarn shirt, manufactured 1996. Same material, same ratio of cotton and poly.

Flecktarn-different color versions - Page 2 New-ol11

Here are the same items again but this time with the patterns matched up for both specimens. New (left) versus old (right.)

Flecktarn-different color versions - Page 2 New10

On the 1996 specimen [RIGHT] you can can see that the brown colour is different to the 2009 specimen [LEFT] and the green and grey are more contrasted. The black blends in with the green more.

On the 2009 specimen the green and grey are "more subdued." The black of the 2000's colours really contrasts against the rest of the colours.

This is not a one-off observation. I have other new, unissued Bundeswehr items from 1990's and 2000's and it is the same situation.

Also, how each FADES is different.

The following are two side by side comparisons of genuine Bundeswehr issued, thoroughly worn and washed, faded flecktarn, the first being a 2008 issue pair of pants [left], and the second a 1997 issue shirt [right.]

You can see from this that the 1990's and 2000's colours ALSO FADE DIFFERENTLY. The most obvious observation is that the 90's brown fades to a "red" and the 2000's brown fades to an "orange."

Flecktarn-different color versions - Page 2 Fade10

HELPFUL TO THE CONCLUSIONS: In May of this year I went to Auckland, New Zealand and visited the NZ Army Surplus store there ("Kiwi Disposals") on Karangahape Road. They are the largest military surplus store in Australasia (yes, even bigger than Wellington Disposals in Perth, the biggest in Australia.)

Amongst other things, this NZ store has LOTS of flecktarn products, from shirts, pants and hats to mint condition panzerkombis (coveralls.) I spent an hour in that store looking, reading labels, making notes - and purchasing of course! It was a flecktarn extravaganza, something we are denied here in AusCam-dominated Australia! (yuck! horrible camo!) This experience was the icing on the cake of my research and I believe my conclusions as above are factual.

Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:32 am

Harbard wrote:
    CollectinSteve wrote:The Troppentarn cloth is also 65% Cotton 35% Poly, with the addition of an anti-mosquito chemical treatment. Although it has the same percentages as normal Flecktarn, the cloth looks and feels different. If you find a jacket with mesh in the armpits and no zipper, then it's Troppentarn.

Steve

Ah thanks for the info.

I saw a dude this day, wearing Flecktarn field jacket, no hood but still lower pockets? Is the hood on the parka removable?

Firstly, it's odd that a garment treated for anti mosquito would have no zipper as those blighters can get through gaps between buttons no sweat !

Second, ASMC.de do this 'modified' combat smock.

Flecktarn-different color versions - Page 2 Modfront

Flecktarn-different color versions - Page 2 Modrear

Made from a parka, it has the hood removed, extra storage pockets over the zippered lower slant pockets, vertical zippered pockets on the chest and has three rear pockets added too. As well as a few other minor bits. Looks rather sharp although I have no idea if it gets used by servicemen or not.

I ordered one last week and will do a review with piccies when it arrives.

Dave
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Yes, apparently around 2005 they changed the colors for the temperate Flecktarn, though the change was quite subtle. My earlier point that production variations, especially in the early 1990s, unintentionally produced many variations. Washing/wearing took the colors in completely different directions depending on the specific cloth. Then there is the Troppentarn which is different on it's own, though not intentionally.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:43 am