WWII camouflage

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5571

Re: WWII camouflage

Post by CollectinSteve on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:44 am

I don't follow the Brit side of WAF, but it sounds like Brit collecting is as "interesting" as WW2 German collecting. Which is one reason I avoid it Wink

I do know what you mean about people getting a hair across their butt when they're told that expensive thing they own is effectively worthless. Me? I buy things on good faith and understand the term Caveat Emptor very well. Fortunately I have rarely run into problems. The stuff I've had that isn't real was either bought knowing the risk or didn't cost me enough to get bothered by.

Actually, I've always wondered what this cape is. See my posts above. The answer Guy gave fits in nicely with my own doubts. In that sense I'm actually pleased to know it is a fake because up until now I've been really confused by it. Now I know my instincts about it were correct... there definitely was something "wrong" about it. Still, it would have been nice to get an explanation that also confirmed it was something worth keeping in my collection.

Steve

vonstuck
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 2473

Post by vonstuck on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:19 pm

43rdrecce

Registration date : 2012-11-14
    Number of posts : 1

Post by 43rdrecce on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Guys,

The story about the washed out gas capes is accurate. When these capes were factory produced they had the brown pattern printed on the material. In order to make them proof against gas, they were sprayed with greenish tinted linseed oil. The overall effect was then of a green cape with brown disruptive pattern. When they have been rolled up for decades they are completely stuck together. I guess the dealer had attempted to 'unstick' them, but ruined them in the process.
    The 'desert issue' cover story was invented as a means of selling them.

I've seen plenty of these in the last 20 years or so. Not sure if anyone has ever tried to re-apply the linseed proofing. I guess they would look a little washed out as regards the brown, but then they were normally stowed rolled, attached to a belt or small pack so maybe not obvious.

Cheers

Paul

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5571

Post by CollectinSteve on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:37 am

Thanks for the follow up.  I've never seen anybody counter this account other than to say "I'm sure what I have is rare and worth every farthing I paid for it".  That's not a line of argument that holds up very well in the face of evidence to the opposite Very Happy

Steve

vonstuck
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by vonstuck on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:48 pm

koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1629

Post by koalorka on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Came across this interesting modification of the hand-painted "SAS" windproof, used by the French in their Indochina campaign:

vonstuck
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by vonstuck on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Algaria war period
    Used as garment garrison
    Gilles

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t6104-not-french-camouflage-but

Sponsored content