IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Antarmike
fireman
fallout
abefroman
edstorey
airborne1968
flashesandovals
Gulf91
filupe
Wolverine
14 posters

M1971 ABL field gear

abefroman
    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 282

M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 Empty Re: M1971 ABL field gear

Post by abefroman Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Great stuff! What did you use to fill the ammo pouches?
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:51 pm

Just some 1 or 1 1/2 inch wide strips of 3/4 inch-think pine boards.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:23 am

The set-up was inspired by some period photographs, but also by this figure that I photographed at the museum at Camp Elsenborn a couple summers ago... Sorry about the reflection in the glass, but my pocket camera couldn't do a better job in poor lighting.

M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 Img_6522
    fireman
    fireman
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Didier
    Registration date : 2016-02-12
    Number of posts : 21

Post by fireman Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:17 pm

[img]M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 Img_2013[/img]
    fireman
    fireman
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Didier
    Registration date : 2016-02-12
    Number of posts : 21

Post by fireman Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:19 pm

[img]M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 Img_2012[/img]
    abefroman
    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by abefroman Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:19 am

Very nice. The short FNC ammo pouches seem to be impossible to find. Maybe the government hasn't released them as surplus yet.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Mike Fincher
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 438

Post by Antarmike Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Let me introduce myself. My name is Mike and I am from Lincolnshire in the UK. It all started when I bought a 1952 Minerva Land Rover.... I then decided i ought to get some Belgian kit to display with it. The Minerva was with the ABL from 1952 right through to 1995. I therefore collect equipment in service between these dates. I am just building up some 1971 pattern equipment to compliment my 1937 webbing, but TBH I do not know a lot about some of the stuff I have, and over the next few weeks I hope to post some pictures, ask some questions, and maybe get some answers.
    abefroman
    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by abefroman Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:39 am

Antarmike wrote:Let me introduce myself.  My name is Mike and I am from Lincolnshire in the UK.  It all started when I bought a 1952 Minerva Land Rover.... I then decided i ought to get some Belgian kit to display with it.  The Minerva was with the ABL from 1952 right through to 1995.  I therefore collect equipment in service between these dates.  I am just building up some 1971 pattern equipment to compliment my 1937 webbing, but TBH I do not know a lot about some of the stuff I have, and over the next few weeks I hope to post some pictures, ask some questions, and maybe get some answers.  

Looking forward to seeing the pictures and happy to help answer what we can!
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:30 pm

The Minerva is a really interesting vehicle. The M1971 Belgian stuff is some of my favourite field gear, so I look forward to seeing what you have found Mike.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Antarmike Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Unfortunately, I tried to post some images last night and got a message saying newbies have to wait 7 days before posting links to other sites, so, I am afraid as I use photobucket, we have a weeks wait.  

Well anyway I have a set with Vigneron pouches ( I have two deactivated Vignerons)  and I have a couple of sets with FAL pouches, (have a FAL but unfortunately not ABL, but it does have ABL grips, stock etc) .

Also have a HiPower and what I believe is a 71 pattern Holster and several twin mag pouches.

Fairly recently I acquired a second FN-49.  I have had a new spec deact for a year, but recently bought an Old Spec one.

But I have other stuff that needs identifying (May not even be Belgian.)

Including a Mag pouch with Grenade side pouches, but with a plastic closing clip much like the one clip pictured on here  on a FNC pouch.  
    This Mag pouch may be ABL, certainly a Mecar M73 practice grenade fits the side pockets a treat. It wont take an M50 assault grenade though.

Interested in the half tent pouch (that makes hood for Poncho). I have two complete pup tents one with wooden poles, one with Aluminium poles, but I only have bags for the wooden pole tents.  This bag is far to small for a hood, has no mounting method on the webbing, and the poncho have no hand or arm slits in it.

The other pup tent I have has got slits for the arms, but no bag (which presumably is the hood when worn as a poncho?

I now seek the bag/ hood for a half Tent!

I also have a Blindicide launcher, and I am searchng for Rocket carrying pouches for this?  where any made?  (also seek Energa transport pouches if they existed.)
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Antarmike Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:30 pm

M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DlXshxx
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 IITepMd
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 IITepMd

Are both of these M71 webbing? and if so is the paler one correctly made?

In particular the loop just below the shoulder padding,  On the Darker green yoke it faces out, on the lighter yoke it lies on the inside of the straps.

I assume this loop is meant to act in a similar way to British 58 pattern webbing where the rucksack strap affixes to this loop?

But if so you cannot attach the rucksack strap in the same way as you can with the Darker webbing.

Is this a manufacturing fault on the lighter yoke or is there a sensible reason why one loop is on the outside and one is on the inside?
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Antarmike Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:53 pm

M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4832_zpsnu3v2hs8
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4831_zpsypuxmyov
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4830_zpsdgpgv4bs

Sorry about last post,  I cannot get Imgur to resize for this forum,  I have re-posted same pictures from Photobucket.  These seem a better size
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:10 am

It appears to be a manufacturing error.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Antarmike Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:17 am

Wolverine wrote:It appears to be a manufacturing error.

The wrongly assembled one is one of a pair that came with a bulk buy. I suspected it was not meant to be that way, and the second one I have already pulled apart for "spares" Thanks for a prompt answer.

I will start to post some stuff I am happy about soon!
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:44 am

It also occurred to me that the snap-hooks on the rucksack straps are not really intended to mate up with the D-ring on the suspenders, but rather, with the D-rings on the top rear of the ammunition pouches.

On the original US M1956 equipment, the suspender D-ring was meant to be used with the sleeping bag carrying straps and also for attaching the snap-hooks on the small straps that supported the small arms ammunition cases. Neither of these purposes applies for the Belgian version, although the Greek version functions the same as the US. Of course, the D-rings can also be used for general purpose attachment, but I don't recall the Belgian manual showing the rucksack snap-hooks attached to the D-rings directly.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Antarmike Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:23 pm

M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4835_zpsmqq05im6
    Mofified and unmodified pouch
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4848_zpskkxaoysx
    One of my sets, maybe not assembled completely correctly but I am learning
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4849_zps9ikwyudk
    Since I have only found one vynil waterbottle carrier this set has a temporary Flecktarn water bottle carrier
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4850_zpso7qrr0zg
    Collapsible bowl.
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4851_zps7tiikizn
    Ballistite cartridges for Energa
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4852_zpsfozqr46h
    HiPower Mags
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Antarmike Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:29 pm

M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4854_zps7suvqdln
    Vigneron Pouches but with Sten and Sten mags. I know ABL used Sten up into the 80's, would they have used Vigneron pouches though?
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4855_zps4hvuzacv
    Same kit with M2 and Vigneron mags.
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4856_zpsjve4zpk6
    Folging Shovel not ABL but British, I seek an ABL stamped shovel for this pouch.
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4857_zpsulkquyaq
    Back of pouch
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4858_zpssbocfiwg
    Correct water bottle pouch for this rig.
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4859_zps1fsvvteq
    Yes, I know, pouches probably not attached correctly!

Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Antarmike Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:59 pm

M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4860_zpshmnnlobf
    Start of another set, Again I only have Flecktarn Water bottle carrier for this set.
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4903_zps417hzjep
    Mystery Pouches,  Bought as Grenade pouches but are they?
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4833_zpsqwji3ars
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4946_zpscszogrxw
    A couple of canteen sets
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4945_zpskx35cffwMost of my canteens have American style fold under handles,  I have just one of these Butterfly handle canteens.
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4940_zps2clm7ih9
    Random picture... Snipers gloves
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4941_zpsnn5xq1um
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4938_zpsue5ewtusTwo Half tents/Pup tents, but what era is this Rucksack?
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4937_zpsoa3key0n
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF4939_zpspuymtzd7
    Pup tent.   Any idea of era?
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 399

Post by Camonut314 Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:00 pm

The rucksack you have I believe is French, not Belgian. Model 1953. I know the Belgians made a copy of it, but it was made in the same vinyl as the rest of the set. So it would have had to been used by the Belgians after the adoption in the French army, so after the 1960's probably.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:14 pm

The rucksack is likely Belgian. Before the M1971 set was adopted, Belgian airborne troops were already using a copy of the French TAP rucksack made of a similar type of canvas. I have an unissued Belgian model, plus a well used one. They are very similar to the M1971 in pattern, except for the material. There is also a nylon version. I can pull them out for comparative photographs.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:18 pm

The pup tent (or at least the case itself) is not Belgian, but appears to be the Austrian pattern that was issued around the same time as the Austrian model 75 (?) webbing, which is loosely similar to the M1956 pattern.

In your webbing set, the canteen pouch belongs to the air force set, which was a different pattern/design all together. Also, the buckles and hooks that join the magazine pouches to the D-rings on the suspenders are improvised. Did you find them like this, or make them up yourself from spare parts?

Your FAL pouches are really nice! It is tough to find them in good condition.

I don't know about the small pouch with the grenades. I think it is surely Belgian, but I am not familiar with the purpose.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Antarmike Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Wolverine wrote:The pup tent (or at least the case itself) is not Belgian, but appears to be the Austrian pattern that was issued around the same time as the Austrian model 75 (?) webbing, which is loosely similar to the M1956 pattern.

In your webbing set, the canteen pouch belongs to the air force set, which was a different pattern/design all together. Also, the buckles and hooks that join the magazine pouches to the D-rings on the suspenders are improvised. Did you find them like this, or make them up yourself from spare parts?

I don't know about the small pouch with the grenades. I think it is surely Belgian, but I am not familiar with the purpose.
    The pup tent is a hybrid I have two half tents that came in these bags.  These tents did not have arm holes to make poncho.  The tents now in the bags have arm holes and I believe are ABL, but I did not get a pouch with these two.  One tent had aluminium poles, the other had wooden poles.

Can someone post a pic of ABL half tent with its poles and stakes,  I will try to get the tents back paired up with the right poles and stakes. Thanks for the advice.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Antarmike wrote:
    Wolverine wrote:The pup tent (or at least the case itself) is not Belgian, but appears to be the Austrian pattern that was issued around the same time as the Austrian model 75 (?) webbing, which is loosely similar to the M1956 pattern.

The pup tent is a hybrid I have two half tents that came in these bags.  These tents did not have arm holes to make poncho.  The tents now in the bags have arm holes and I believe are ABL, but I did not get a pouch with these two.  One tent had aluminium poles, the other had wooden poles.

Can someone post a pic of ABL half tent with its poles and stakes,  I will try to get the tents back paired up with the right poles and stakes. Thanks for the advice.

If I recall correctly, ABL tents sheets in vinyl should have the arm holes, the bag/hood, a small pouch for poles and pegs, and metal poles and pegs, plus a guy rope. I will have to dig out my set to photograph. But the set up was basically the same as with the jigsaw and moons and balls tents.

The Austrian tent does not have arm holes, and there is not separate case for the poles, etc.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Antarmike Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:55 pm

i am pretty sure Ali poles came with tents with arm holes, but I can't remember which of two types of pegs belongs to which tent. I thinky the pegs foe the the armhole tent where bigger and more sophisticated than the simple , almost civilian pattern, pegs of the no arm hole tent.

Would very much appreciate a picture sometime. Thanks.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Antarmike Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:39 pm

Wolverine wrote:The rucksack is likely Belgian. Before the M1971 set was adopted, Belgian airborne troops were already using a copy of the French TAP rucksack made of a similar type of canvas. I have an unissued Belgian model, plus a well used one. They are very similar to the M1971 in pattern, except for the material. There is also a nylon version. I can pull them out for comparative photographs.
    My second Rucksack...Only differs from the first one I posted in that it has a velcro panel......
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF5014_zpszicd61ll
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF5015_zpscay12epc
    M1971 ABL field gear - Page 3 DSCF5016_zpskxllndag

I confess to being a wimp, so I have a two part inner / outer sleeping bag, and also carry a separte Bivvy bag to cover all eventualities on my Jaunts with the Minerva.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 pm