IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

operation granby display

thunderchild
    thunderchild
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2013-04-21
    Number of posts : 344

operation granby display  Empty operation granby display

Post by thunderchild Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:47 pm

Just to share a few pieces ive put together for your viewing pleasure ,ive gone down the private purchase road for the boonie and arktis rig ,trousers and shirt are supercraft maker marked  ,hope you enjoy and please ignore his chilled out demeanour that is my influence  ,james operation granby display  002_zpsjywk60zyoperation granby display  004_zpscbp6qfx5operation granby display  016_zpshnlpwlycoperation granby display  008_zps31l77ostoperation granby display  011_zpsyprh70ycoperation granby display  022_zpsnrwdjk89operation granby display  014_zpsdqqwd35woperation granby display  026_zpsd4eufuteoperation granby display  028_zpsgxclc17poperation granby display  031_zpssiwzc75boperation granby display  027_zps9nfmnuzjoperation granby display  032_zps05txgp1yoperation granby display  036_zpsmfjouslxoperation granby display  038_zpsdfrv0gfw
    austromunga
    austromunga
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-11-24
    Number of posts : 267

operation granby display  Empty Re: operation granby display

Post by austromunga Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Nice display James !!!! As allways!!!!
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Superb as ever James.

Not that I Bloody needed any more gear but seeing as Granby is my main interest(along with Falklands) couldnt resist a punt on a small job lot of gear(all from the same guy) which was bought believe it or not for the period Shemagh as not easy to get hold of so everything else was a bonus-Bog std Granby era shirt+trs,desert boots,nicely dated 1991,85 patt combat jacket with what I thought were a pair of 85 patt trs but when the package arrived today was blown away to find that the trs were in fact a pair of very very nice Arctic Windproofs,nice in their own right but even better that they were an early pair SIZE 5 so a very very happy chappy.
    thunderchild
    thunderchild
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by thunderchild Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:10 pm

cheer's chaps and thanks for the vote of confidence ,sounds like a nice haul richard i was going to use some post 91 US wellco's but today my local army surplus had these brit desert boots and for 10 quid it was a no brainer
    Edward53
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2013-12-02
    Number of posts : 216

Post by Edward53 Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Great display TC, and well done on finding a period helmet cover in nice condition, which as I expect you know is an extremely scarce item.

Gulf91 wrote:Superb as ever James.

Not that I Bloody needed any more gear but seeing as Granby is my main interest(along with Falklands) couldnt resist a punt on a small job lot of gear(all from the same guy) which was bought believe it or not for the period Shemagh as not easy to get hold of so everything else was a bonus-Bog std Granby era shirt+trs,desert boots,nicely dated 1991,85 patt combat jacket with what I thought were a pair of 85 patt trs but when the package arrived today was blown away to find that the trs were in fact a pair of very very nice Arctic Windproofs,nice in their own right but even better that they were an early pair SIZE 5 so a very very happy chappy.

Good score! I would certainly agree that the standard issue GW1 shemagh is not an easy item to find. Those two periods are also my main interests. Perhaps it's just me, but it feels as if I'm seeing less of the more interesting early kit on ebay in recent weeks.
    abefroman
    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 282

Post by abefroman Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:44 am

is there a model name for that Arktis Chest Rig, and how hard are they to find?
    thunderchild
    thunderchild
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by thunderchild Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:33 pm

many thanks edward as luck would have it i picked up another period helmet cover and a section of the dpm pattern is replicated on the shirt below it in the first picture ,as you can probably tell judging by the poor fitment this is a slightly smaller size small/medium  operation granby display  988_zpsicuicctnoperation granby display  989_zpsfde0pngqoperation granby display  991_zpsee74oehtoperation granby display  992_zps2sxw5txzoperation granby display  994_zpsfei6kjcq
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:50 pm

I would always go a size up on the helmet covers as the corresponding sized cover to the helmet always seems too small,especially a new one with tight elastics hence where the sniper tape and rubber inner tube edging came from in A to protect the edges of the cover from wear and B to stop the cover riding up.

Who would have thought that the humble period DDPM helmet cover was rare,must have given away loads over the years not taking any notice of the labels!!!
    thunderchild
    thunderchild
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by thunderchild Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:04 pm

i know mate ,its sickening to think of what i have let go /sold on in the past but id best not depress myself to much Smile i was lucky with the first cover as it was oversize but snapped this one up purely for what period it was from ,at the time size did not matter untill that is i tryed to squeeze it on my afghan period mk6
    cheers for your comments
    james
    thunderchild
    thunderchild
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by thunderchild Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Due to the overwhelming response from researching, buying, photographing and posting pictures of my latest display im going balls deep and set myself up for another fall Smile here is what i believe is a complete 58 webbing set from op granby ,all untouched and as was ,all the dates are leaning towards the late 80's the canteen is dated 1990 and usually part of the plce webbing , The blade is a William Rodgers 'I Cut My Way' of Sheffield and as you can see resplended in dpm material  most intriguing is the extra elastication on the pouches and the what would be a 1957 us style canteen which is the most confusing as i dont know for sure if its a repo but im leaning that way ,why its part of the rig i have no idea but it certainly isn't an addition to the set , i would like to speculate this belonged to a reservist which would tie in with the 58 webbing used in the gulf but this set belonged to a corporal operation granby display  006_zpsndkbghdwoperation granby display  008_zpsiu6b7uwooperation granby display  011_zpsq1cktmqzoperation granby display  013_zpsqn1tiioroperation granby display  009_zpsxzk9kzojoperation granby display  012_zps1t61dwtzoperation granby display  014_zpsf2bu8pyloperation granby display  016_zpsgrrvxhztoperation granby display  019_zpsbtertjchoperation granby display  021_zpsmm51yh8uoperation granby display  018_zpsiuwczpq1operation granby display  020_zps0akul9eeoperation granby display  022_zpsnrdboqdpoperation granby display  030_zpse3rfl53coperation granby display  033_zpsesmrnsbjoperation granby display  034_zpsbfzstovd
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Edward53 wrote:Great display TC, and well done on finding a period helmet cover in nice condition, which as I expect you know is an extremely scarce item.

Gulf91 wrote:Superb as ever James.

Good score! I would certainly agree that the standard issue GW1 shemagh is not an easy item to find. Those two periods are also my main interests. Perhaps it's just me, but it feels as if I'm seeing less of the more interesting early kit on ebay in recent weeks.

Juat picked up 12 DDPM covers,again like last lot bought unseen so look forwards to seeing what arrives.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Another amazing display. Love the knife and have a soft spot for 58 patt. The elastic is for attaching foliage in the field. Us canteen set is an el cheapo copy.
    thunderchild
    thunderchild
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by thunderchild Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:43 pm

hi richard and many thanks for your comments on the set and for confirming my thoughts ,the el cheapo is wool lined for some unkown reason ,to date ive never come across another 58 rig with the extra foliage bands ,was it common practise ? ,im wondering considering the ammo pouch is dated 1987 when the 58 webbing was finally discontinued operation granby display  006_zpshhi1n7m2operation granby display  013_zpsfwvwjrraoperation granby display  011_zpsedlu7b2f
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Very common practice,surprised you havent come across other 58 Patt pouches with the elastic sewn on.Another common thing for squaddies to do was to cut slits into every pouch then run bungee cord through them all to connect them together and make the webbing more stable and less bouncing etc when on the move. Recently had one of them canteen sets in with some other bits,cover identical but mine had a poor repro US M1910 type alum canteen stamped to the bottom Made In Korea.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Not sure about the dates of the last 58 patt,think I have some 1990 or even 1991. I believe but considering the amount of 58 patt I have had(and still own)over the years that the very very last ammo pouches did away with the BFA pocket and not sure if the other side had no bayo loops?
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:03 pm

14 Desert DPM MK6 Covers In Total--

6 x SL34b by Jeltek Weathergard LTD

6 x SL34b by Dashmore Clothing LTD

1 x DC2 CESL/3128

1 x OC2A/1614
    thunderchild
    thunderchild
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by thunderchild Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:41 pm

brilliant thanks richard ,you lost me there on your last posting ,so 1991 thats far later than i imagined it would be ,i think the latest on mine is dated 87 ,in your experiance have you seen any crossovers between equiptment on the p58 and plce ,the water canteen i posted in particular
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:14 am

Apart from the supposed late ammo pouches I have mentioned but never seen in 30 years,no crossover. The waterbottle,as I have no interest whatsoever in modern Brit stuff not sure but think the waterbottle is still current and unchanged but think the mug may possibly no now be made of metal so can be used to heat up liquids etc or has some form or detachable rim,not really sure.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:32 am

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1958/introduction.html

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1958/components/equipment/equipment_pouches.html
    thunderchild
    thunderchild
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by thunderchild Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:23 am

superb links richard ,thank you very much

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content