IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Name : Mike Fincher
    Age : 67
    Location : Lincolnshire United Kingdom
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 399

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by Antarmike Wed May 03, 2017 5:16 am

    Latest ABL stuff to arrive

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho DSCF5340_zpsg114r9sw
    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho DSCF5341_zpsgcv5p1c2
    Not sure how many pegs there should be More than the three I have?
    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho DSCF5342_zpsdfrlgt6a
    German manufacture 1956
    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho DSCF5343_zps4sioljzm
    Poncho hood removes to make storage bag for poncho. with belt loops.
    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho DSCF5344_zpsotkcvtkr
    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho DSCF5345_zps65vmdaaw
    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho DSCF5349_zpsuktt4xqn

    Tent half is spotted with white specks at the moment, but these are powder and will scape off clean with a finger nail.  (I have an hour or two of scraping ahead I can see.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1320

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by Wolverine Wed May 03, 2017 11:05 am

    Nice shelter half Mike - somehow it seems that a lot of these 1950s moons and balls shelter kits have survived without showing any use. I have a pair of them identical to yours, and made by the same manufacturer - any of these that I have seen are made in Germany.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Name : Mike Fincher
    Age : 67
    Location : Lincolnshire United Kingdom
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 399

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by Antarmike Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 am

    Bag contain 4 pole sections and three pegs? Am I short of a few pegs? How many are there for each of your half tent?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6536

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by CollectinSteve Wed May 03, 2017 1:12 pm

    Hi Mike,

    Hmmm... mine are all buried so I can't check. I think there were 4 pegs, definitely 4 pole sections. The idea was for each guy to have exactly half of what was needed. IIRC it's two pegs on each side, one peg for each "door", for a total of 6. One pole on each end with a tension rope going out to a peg spaced a meter or so away from where the "door" ends. I pitched the Jigsaw version and slept a night in it many years ago. Kinda fun, despite the musty smell!

    As far as I know all of the M&B, Brush, and maybe even the Jigsaw shelter halves were made in Germany by (IIRC) two firms, both located on Lake Konstanz.

    Steve
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Name : Mike Fincher
    Age : 67
    Location : Lincolnshire United Kingdom
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 399

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by Antarmike Wed May 03, 2017 1:52 pm

    CollectinSteve wrote:Hi Mike,

    Hmmm... mine are all buried so I can't check.  I think there were 4 pegs, definitely 4 pole sections.  The idea was for each guy to have exactly half of what was needed.  IIRC it's two pegs on each side, one peg for each "door", for a total of 6.  One pole on each end with a tension rope going out to a peg spaced a meter or so away from where the "door" ends.  I pitched the Jigsaw version and slept a night in it many years ago.  Kinda fun, despite the musty smell!

    As far as I know all of the M&B, Brush, and maybe even the Jigsaw shelter halves were made in Germany by (IIRC) two firms, both located on Lake Konstanz.

    Steve

    I must be missing the tension ropes too. I hadn't twigged I haven't seen them until you said......
    belgium_one
    belgium_one
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

    Name : sebastien Deviere
    Age : 48
    Location : France
    Registration date : 2015-11-10
    Number of posts : 405

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by belgium_one Thu May 04, 2017 1:59 pm

    -Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho 28832321799bad5a3b514f096e69bbc4a7896cd9

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho 832456CherchyeMauriceafb19661967013
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1320

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by Wolverine Thu May 04, 2017 2:58 pm

    Antarmike wrote:
    CollectinSteve wrote:Hi Mike,

    Hmmm... mine are all buried so I can't check.  I think there were 4 pegs, definitely 4 pole sections.  The idea was for each guy to have exactly half of what was needed.  IIRC it's two pegs on each side, one peg for each "door", for a total of 6.  One pole on each end with a tension rope going out to a peg spaced a meter or so away from where the "door" ends.  I pitched the Jigsaw version and slept a night in it many years ago.  Kinda fun, despite the musty smell!

    As far as I know all of the M&B, Brush, and maybe even the Jigsaw shelter halves were made in Germany by (IIRC) two firms, both located on Lake Konstanz.

    Steve

    I must be missing the tension ropes too.  I hadn't twigged I haven't seen them until you said......

    Each accessory pouch should have 4 poles, 5 pegs, and one length of cord - at least that is what my various sets have each contained.
    I didn't realize that these halves were made in brushstroke as well.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1320

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by Wolverine Thu May 04, 2017 2:58 pm

    belgium_one wrote:-Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho 28832321799bad5a3b514f096e69bbc4a7896cd9

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho 832456CherchyeMauriceafb19661967013

    Excellent photos!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6536

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by CollectinSteve Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm

    Wolverine wrote:
    Each accessory pouch should have 4 poles, 5 pegs, and one length of cord - at least that is what my various sets have each contained.

    Thanks for the confirmation!  The 5th peg might be be for mid point side?

    I didn't realize that these halves were made in brushstroke as well.

    Brainfart on my part.  M&B only.  I put on my miner's helmet and dug through to where my Belgian shelter halves are and all I have are 2x M&B and 2x Jigsaw.  I should think that if there were made in Brush I'd have at least one.

    As penance, here's another picture of 'em in use Very Happy

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Brushe_stroke_tent_zpsu0jneztt

    Steve
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1320

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by Wolverine Thu May 04, 2017 7:33 pm

    Nice image Steve.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Name : Mike Fincher
    Age : 67
    Location : Lincolnshire United Kingdom
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 399

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by Antarmike Fri May 05, 2017 4:28 am

    Thanks all,  I guess one half may be rigged as a simple Bivvy, and that might alter the number of pegs used, depending on how you imrovise the shelter?



    Sponsored content

    Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho Empty Re: Moon and Balls half pup tent/ bivvy shelter/ Poncho

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:04 pm