IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Reversible smock (OD/white), KCT, KM, British??

michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 795

Reversible smock (OD/white), KCT, KM, British?? Empty Reversible smock (OD/white), KCT, KM, British??

Post by michelwijnand Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:23 am

This smock just came in, but I'd like to know what exactly it is.
    The seller thought it might have been from the Marines or Commandos, but to me it also reminds me a bit of the British WW2 smocks, any idea?
    Sadly the tag has been washed out.

Reversible smock (OD/white), KCT, KM, British?? Dsc03630
    Reversible smock (OD/white), KCT, KM, British?? Dsc03631
    Reversible smock (OD/white), KCT, KM, British?? Dsc03632
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Reversible smock (OD/white), KCT, KM, British?? Empty Re: Reversible smock (OD/white), KCT, KM, British??

Post by michelwijnand Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 am

I think I found out it might actually be French, anyone can confirm?
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

Reversible smock (OD/white), KCT, KM, British?? Empty Re: Reversible smock (OD/white), KCT, KM, British??

Post by ripcord Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:41 am

French for sure.

There is a thread for this in the French section, page 5 under  "1950s/60s ???Green Hooded Windproof Smock".
    Sadly, most photos have disappeared, but a few remain..

These were made in olive and in olive /white ..

S
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by michelwijnand Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Ok thanks for the confirmation. I wonder how it turned up here with a number of old Dutch buttons on it. Looks like it was done a long time ago
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:58 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if the Dutch purchased some surplus French smocks instead of making their own production. I know French tanker's helmets were used by the Belgians and, IIRC, the Dutch.

Steve
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by michelwijnand Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Well strangely no KM guys I asked have ever seen anything similar to this used throughout their cold war service, so I'm leaning more towards it being sourced by a single guy (if it was Dutch KM used at all).

At the time the foreign stuff that was regularly issued was just some US fieldgear, leftovers from just after WW2, used up until Dutch made stuff replaced it, though some pieced can be seen in use at least into the 80's.

At some point when the webbing (seen in the other thread) inspired by British p58 webbing started to be used, more use of British fieldgear bits have been seen (some guys had British holsters and rainsuits apparently, by no means I'd call this standard procedure though).
    And when the DPM uniforms started to be used there were also some British made things to supplement the Dutch made stuff (winter hats, gloves, windproof parka's).

Then in the early 90's there was an influx of US made gear again.

That's why I don't think it's actual MoD purchased French stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:33 am