IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Reversible smock

british-rat
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Jesús
    Registration date : 2011-11-13
    Number of posts : 23

Reversible smock Empty Reversible smock

Post by british-rat Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Hello
    I want to show strange and interesting piece, the reversible smock. The information on this piece is limited, if not non-existent. It is known to be used in the islands by the images and videos you can see very clearly. Even Brigadier Julian Thompson, appears in a short interview, wearing this jacket. It is a piece of high quality, double closure, two pockets with Velcro cuffs and low settings, using clips, heavy waterproof fabric. There are matching pants, made exactly the same characteristics. Now raise these questions: was a garment provided to all units or only to paratroopers and Royal Marines? Although it seems as if so, would appear on more occasions. On the other hand, is a modern garment and expensive for the time, therefore, may be that was tested for or during the conflict. I rely on photographic and documentary evidence, as I saw both and there was no trace. My experience with them, I found that have a defect. Of the four I had in the collection, a bow completely stuck. The whites had become sticky and it was a disaster. Could not use it unless he wanted to always lend to me and white stain clothing. Recently, another reversible manipulating the collection, I realized that the hood and sleeves, were suffering the same "disease" presenting areas remains sticky and white pigment. In short, I think having good clothes of waterproof, both DPM as olive, rejected this garment complex. Show you some pictures of royal marines and paratroopers taking it. Greetings.
    Reversible smock ReversiblesmockPara1800x600-1
    Reversible smock ReversiblesmockparaFalklands1800x600
    Etiqueta pantalones defectuosos - Tag defective pants
    Reversible smock Trouserscombatreversible2Copiar_zps267caad2
    Julian Thompson & Royal marines
    Reversible smock Julianthompsonreversible_zps621f1eee
    Para battalion
    Reversible smock Falklands_War_DivX_Player_2007-01-09_20-06-21-67_zps448a6754
    Royal marines
    Reversible smock 1982CliveDytorleftwhoservedintheFalklandsWarandwasawardedtheMilitaryCrossforhisactions
    Royal marines
    Reversible smock P1040427
    Paras
    Reversible smock P1040228
    Royal marine ¿?
    Reversible smock Malvinas2xn1
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Reversible smock Empty Re: Reversible smock

Post by Gulf91 Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:34 am

I believe they were Royal Marines issue but like a lot of other items were used I guess by whoever could beg,borrow or steal some.

Unfortunately yours are not Falklands issue but later,may well be the same or even identical to the Falklands era ones.

Have a jacket somewhere stored away,will have to try to dig it out.

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:14 am

Very nice reversible Jacket, like Gulf said, I too believe these were RMC issue, and yours is a post Falklands / later model.

Re: The Para wearing one,he might well have traded his for a para smock ,who knows,either way nice Jacket and historical reference pictures Wink
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:23 pm

They arent that common to be honest but a few months back there was a couple of the same Post Falklands type on Ebay UK.

Trs of any era are harder to source.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:20 am

Gulf91 wrote:They arent that common to be honest but a few months back there was a couple of the same Post Falklands type on Ebay UK.

Trs of any era are harder to source.

Gulf,I saw two recently in a surplus store, I didn't have the cash at the time, went back the next weekend, and they were both gone Mad

I believe they were going for approx £30 each...the search continues Wink
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:24 pm

I had a set many years back but wouldn't wear them as there was always a bit of white sicking out to mark you as a target !!

They were hot and sticky to wear. And VERY noisy. Not very hardwearing either - the taping always came off quickly.

Collectible ? Sure but a good bit of kit they were not !

The only decent reversible kit I've ever seen was the German WW2 SS camo smocks. Bette to have green camo and overwhites for arctic conditions.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm