IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

the use of webbing vs backpacks

Bert353
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2018-02-03
    Number of posts : 93

the use of webbing vs backpacks Empty the use of webbing vs backpacks

Post by Bert353 Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:48 pm

hello,

I'm very curious to learn about the use of webbing (the belt on your middle with the yoke and the pouches) vs a bergen or daypack??

I've just returned of a week in the boonies (mostly snow) and used a 40L daypack, that thing killed my back! I'm not the youngest anymore, but still like to go out.
    I was thinking that maybe a webbing (I think they call it: the belt with yoke around your middle with all the pouches?) with all magpouches replaced with bigger unes? may place the load on my back in other places? and be more comfy?

Thanks, Bert
    James K
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2015-09-19
    Number of posts : 155

the use of webbing vs backpacks Empty Re: the use of webbing vs backpacks

Post by James K Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:43 pm

They do different things. You are supposed to carry everything required to fight (not what you want it for) and survive in the battlefield. So you would be restricted to waterproofs, water, a little food, something to cook with and a basic shelter with webbing. If you want a sleeping bag and some comforts you need a daysack. Sometimes it's a small daysack which causes discomfort after wearing, have you tried carrying the same kit in a longer 40L sack?
    James K
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2015-09-19
    Number of posts : 155

Post by James K Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 pm

They do different things. You are supposed to carry everything required to fight (not what you want it for) and survive in the battlefield. So you would be restricted to waterproofs, water, a little food, something to cook with and a basic shelter with webbing. If you want a sleeping bag and some comforts you  need a daysack.  Sometimes it's a small daysack which causes discomfort after wearing, have you tried carrying the same kit in a longer 40L sack or a larger sack of 50L but lightly loaded?
    Bert353
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Bert353 Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 pm

I had with me a Kombat uk assaultbackpack medium, with a bottle of water, the leightweight thermal smock (dang I never know how all those modern things are called!) a good pair of gloves, shemagh,coldweather cap, photocamera, gps and some light snacks.

Surely I wouldn't say it was heavy, but maybe not on its correct place on my back? I don't know, (it isn't the first time I walk with a backpack, but that was quite some time ago)
    Bert353
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Bert353 Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:45 pm

No one? I'm wondering if the above described items could be more comforatbly worn in a webbing kit then in the above mentioned daysack?

I have no experience with British webbing.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Mike Fincher
    Registration date : 2016-12-08
    Number of posts : 438

Post by Antarmike Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:52 pm

The webbing is crammed with equipment for fighting and surviving in the field for two days,  there is no spare room for any other items  Here, listed, is what was normal for 58 pattern webbing http://www.crusader80.co.uk/webbing_contents.html

If you need to carry more than this you need some version of pack/Bergen/rucksack for the extra items.  None of the items listed above would be carried in a pack bacause the soldier needs instant access to any of these items for his own survival and his ability to fight.  It is no good rumaging in a sack to find spare ammo or NBC equipment if you come under attack.

As said earlier webbing serves a totally different function to a pack/rucksack/bergen.

I presume your line of questioning is could 58 pattern gear carry the stuff I want for a fun civilian weekend?  The answer to that is yes. but the answers given so far, mine included, are written considering the way webbing and packs are used in the military. And if viewed like that, then no, there is simply no room for anything other than the standard military equipment they were designed to carry. Compass or binoculars would be carried in additinal specific pouches not forming part of the basic webbing.
    Bert353
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Bert353 Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:56 am

Ok, Understand that, beeing in the service myself as wel,long time ago, only not the UK. and we had no Bergen.

I think that what I carried in the small daysack pulled in a wrong way at my back that hurts, therefore I'm thinking that if I could trasfer those civi items in a webbing (which wears more on the hips as on the back) eases my back, but since I have no experience in wearing a UK webbing, I hope you here can help me out?
    Thanks,
    Fallschirmwomble
    Fallschirmwomble
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Paul S
    Registration date : 2014-05-25
    Number of posts : 37

Post by Fallschirmwomble Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:14 am

Bert353 wrote:I had with me a Kombat uk assaultbackpack medium, with a bottle of water, the leightweight thermal smock (dang I never know how all those modern things are called!) a good pair of gloves, shemagh,coldweather cap, photocamera, gps and some light snacks.

Surely I wouldn't say it was heavy, but maybe not on its correct place on my back? I don't know, (it isn't the first time I walk with a backpack, but that was quite some time  ago)

I often wear one or two belt pouches but never more or with a yoke - too military looking! Light scales is my thing.

But I think we might suffer the same/similar complaint. Whenever I carry a PLCE Patrol Pack (and when I had an ALICE medium pack), I usually get backache fairly quickly, even with a very low weight. If I carry a PLCE Infantry rucksack or my SAS/Para bergen (my avatar), I can carry PROPER weight for MUCH longer and without any backache.

I'd agree with James K about using a longer rucksack. Do you use the hip belt?

But last year, I did something of an Ole Bergan - in the modern urban environment - when I was out carrying my PLCE Patrol Pack. I saw a cheap large plastic kitchen chopping board which looked like a perfect fit. I bought it, shoved it into the pack against my back - and I've not had backache since! It's become a permanent fixture!

I find that I need a good frame or backboard - as well as using the hip belt whenever possible. Try it, see how you get on.

###

Incidentally, I'm sure the Crusader 1980 website has it wrong: CEFO (Combat Equipment Fighting Order) is to support you for 24 hours, not 48. 48 hours with a daysack...

And that final picture on their web page is DEFINITELY NOT of Airborne soldiers!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm