IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Soviet Camo Suits

escammo
    escammo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Erick
    Registration date : 2009-02-23
    Number of posts : 165

Soviet Camo Suits Empty Soviet Camo Suits

Post by escammo Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Here are some interesting Soviet suits that I wanted to share with the group.

The uniform pictued below is in the common “sunray” camouflage pattern but is dated 1958 and is constructed in the old coverall style - with the long collar flap, buttoned sleeve and pant cuffs, and hip-level pass through pockets.

The inside portion of the collar flap was made using a scrap of “splatter” pattern camouflage material and the coveralls came with a mask in the “splatter” camouflage pattern.

This uniform indicates that the “sunray” and “splatter” camouflage patterns – both reversible to the “grid” pattern - were being used by the Soviets as early as the 1950’s.

The "sunray" pattern is more detailed than on the later KLMK version uniforms.

I have included a photo of the manufacturing stamp. The stamp shows that this uniform was made in 1958. I can make-out the name Kolomenskaya which may indicate where the uniform was manufactured. I did an internet search and Kolomenskaya is village outside of Tula and is also an area in Moscow.

Any information that fellow members have about the uniform or the manufacturing stamps would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Erick

Soviet Camo Suits SunRay_Old_Coveralls

Soviet Camo Suits SunRay_Old_Coveralls_Stamp
    escammo
    escammo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Soviet Camo Suits Empty Re: Soviet Camo Suits

Post by escammo Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:59 pm

I have a couple Soviet first pattern coveralls that used scraps of Splatter camo in their construction (please see the uniform pictured above). I figured that the use of these scraps meant that Soviet first pattern coveralls made in the Splatter camo pattern had to exist – and have finally acquired one. This uniform has the first pattern button cuff fasteners, hip level pass-through pockets and is 1960 dated.

All the 1950’s dated coveralls that I have seen are not constructed to be reversible – which makes sense for the earlier TTsMKK camo because this tri-color camo pattern is not reversible. However, 1950s coveralls in Birch and Sunray patterns - which are reversible to a grid pattern - were not constructed to be reversible either.

As you can see in the photo below, this 1960s Splatter camo suit has been modified to be reversible with button and loop fasteners, seat flap buttons and scrim tabs on both sides of the uniform.

It looks like the Soviets experimented a lot with patterns in the 1950s, to include the development of the reversible grid patterns, and then adapted the uniforms to be reversible later-on.

Soviet Camo Suits Old_Type_Splatter_Suit
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:02 pm

Very nice , I too really like these soviet suits , congrats on getting them !! they are hard to get and usually very expensive , NICE !!!!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:32 pm

Very nice indeed!! For some reason that spatter pattern is one of my favorites. Just something about it that grabs me.

Erick, have you ever heard of any official explanation for the reversible "grid" pattern? Often people call it "night", but I'm not sure how effective it would be for that. So I'm wondering if it was just meant for urban or other non-green daylight ops.

Steve
    escammo
    escammo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by escammo Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:41 pm

Hello Steve, I really do not have a definitive answer to that question.

Desmond states in his book that the reversible grid pattern was for use in snowy or sandy environments. However, the reverse KLMK pattern does resemble the grid camo pattern used on the U.S. night camouflage uniforms in the 1st Gulf War. This must be where the night camo use of the KLMK grid pattern comes in. These grid patterns were supposed to provide a camo effect against the early IR night vision equipment. It seems the best answer would be “all of the above”.

I think it is cool that the Soviets were working on using the stair step effect and grid patterns in an attempt to create more effective camo patterns way back in the 1950’s.

Erick
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 930

Post by AndrewA74 Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:31 pm

escammo wrote:

...I think it is cool that the Soviets were working on using the stair step effect and grid patterns in an attempt to create more effective camo patterns way back in the 1950’s.

Erick
    This is kind of topic, but you're right that is really cool. If I saw something like that at a flea market I'd have said modern digital. So this must be the grandaddy of digital huh?
    Andrew
    Martin
    Martin
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Martin
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 932

Post by Martin Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi Erick,

Here are some pics of the one I have for reference. It is fully reversable - all foliage loops, buttons and pocket are mirrored on both sides - only the knee and elbow reinforcing (double layer) is not mirrored on both sides.

Button
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5418

Elastic leg cuffs
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5419

Foliage loops on shoulder, chest, upper arm
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5424

Collar, brown tape
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5425

White tag on left lower leg 9233 2
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5426

Elastic wrist cuffs
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5428

Suit
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5430

Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5432

Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5434

Butt flap, pocket
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5433

Foliage loops on back of lower and upper leg
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5435

Belt loops on butt flap
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5436

Foliage loops on small hood
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5437

Similar images but on reverse to compare, same foliage loops
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5438

Collar
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5439

Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5440

Butt flap
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5441

Belt loops
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5442

Foliage loops on back of lower and upper leg
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5443

Foliage loops on hood
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5445

Stamps - dated 1968, anyone make the rest out? Is it size 2?
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5446

Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5447

Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5448

Mask has square edges to the shapes - makes me think rounded shapes of the splotch pattern could be due to poor quality control of printing...
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5451

Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5450

Mask pattern compared to suit pattern
    Soviet Camo Suits IMG_5452

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:37 am