IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

West German made TTA47 jacket?

LizardCollector
    LizardCollector
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Adam
    Registration date : 2023-07-11
    Number of posts : 32

West German made TTA47 jacket? Empty West German made TTA47 jacket?

Post by LizardCollector Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:28 pm

I just picked up a really nice TTA47 jacket, but the stamp is from a German company. The seller said these were from 54-62 timeframe, all the features match a typical 47 jacket. I'll try to add some pictures tonight or tomorrow, but I'm curious if anyone knows of these being contracted out? What I do know, is it is a common practice in the French military to buy private purchase stuff and I do have an F1/F2 jackets that were made in Spain and have heard of them being made by Syntex. But I've never heard of a TTA47 made outside of France.
    LizardCollector
    LizardCollector
    Corporal
    Corporal

West German made TTA47 jacket? Empty Re: West German made TTA47 jacket?

Post by LizardCollector Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:44 pm

West German made TTA47 jacket? 20230733
    West German made TTA47 jacket? 20230734
    West German made TTA47 jacket? 20230735
    LizardCollector
    LizardCollector
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by LizardCollector Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:45 am

I did a little digging and found that German made TTA47 uniforms are very common in early issue uniforms. This jacket was made in Freiburg, which was in the post war WW2 French occupation zone. A lot of early French equipment took advantage of leftover German industrial capability. Also, despite the seller stating a later date period, this is a pre 1952 due to the internal pockets as opposed to the post 1952 external box pockets. It's definitely a 47 to 52 period piece and I've never come across something this early in brand new condition. So, I'm extremely happy.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:53 pm

Yeah, there are other examples of this sort of thing happening in the other occupied zones. It was a good way for the Allies to help Germany's economy rebuild while also providing items to the Allies for cheap as part of war reparations. But it really was limited to the earliest days of post-war Germany. I'm sure some of it continued into the mid 1950s, but my impression is that it was largely before then.

Steve

LizardCollector likes this post

LizardCollector
    LizardCollector
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by LizardCollector Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:17 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Yeah, there are other examples of this sort of thing happening in the other occupied zones.  It was a good way for the Allies to help Germany's economy rebuild while also providing items to the Allies for cheap as part of war reparations.  But it really was limited to the earliest days of post-war Germany.  I'm sure some of it continued into the mid 1950s, but my impression is that it was largely before then.

Steve

Thanks Steve! You've been really helpful with your replies. I was able to come across an online blog that also mentioned something similar and it kinda made the brain gears grind a bit. That and this one has all the early features.I also looked up the wiki on Freiburg and the occupation. It seems the city left French occupation in 1952, so that matches up the timeframe of this

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:44 am