IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet?

Niller
    Niller

Name : Niels
    Registration date : 2024-05-25
    Number of posts : 5

M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet? Empty M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet?

Post by Niller Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:20 am

Ive come across a few photos of Danish soldiers in the early 1990's(?), wearing the standard steel helmet, but with an M/84 camo cover, instead of the normal net. Does anyone have more info on it? Im guessing it was made for the transition to the new M/96 gear, and as such was only used for a short amount of time, but i dont know. Was it improvised (like just a piece of fabric), or a more proper cover? To what extend was it used?
    M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet? 20240916
    M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet? 20240915
    M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet? 20240917
    Niller
    Niller

M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet? Empty Re: M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet?

Post by Niller Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:21 am

M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet? 0450e711
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 362

M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet? Empty Re: M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet?

Post by TennoHeikaNate Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:04 pm

I may be completely wrong as I am no expert in Danish kit, but the twin seams, bunched-up fabric towards the sides and rear, and what looks like a stitch line about half an inch above the brim in your first reference photo make me think that these are regular M/84 jacket hoods that were put on over them as makeshift covers.
    M/84 helmet cover for the steel helmet? Danish10
    Niller
    Niller

Post by Niller Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:01 am

Oh that is clever, I hadn't thought of that. I tried your theory and yeah, despite the buttons on the hood, it works pretty well, and does look like the pics. That would also explain why i haven't been able to find any pics of the cover by itself

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 13, 2024 1:19 am