IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
zvez
nkomo
AndrewA74
Mercenary25
8 posters

Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Name : Jeremy
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Number of posts : 1419

Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches Empty Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches

Post by Mercenary25 Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:39 pm

Are there any knock-off, chinese copies, and fake patches should I watch out for?

Where is best source to buy patches from? Especially theater made ones and morale patches such as Happy Meter and Dirka Dirkastan.

Are patches from following sellers any good?

http://stores.ebay.com/BASE-PX-ACU-SAND-BOX-MORALE-PATCHES
    http://stores.ebay.com/Rays-POGS-and-PATCHES-for-less

Thanks in advance for help.

Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches Oifbanner

http://oefoif.forumotion.net/forum.htm
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 930

Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches Empty Re: Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches

Post by AndrewA74 Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:Are there any knock-off, chinese copies, and fake patches should I watch out for?

Where is best source to buy patches from? Especially theater made ones and morale patches such as Happy Meter and Dirka Dirkastan.

Are patches from following sellers any good?

http://stores.ebay.com/Rays-POGS-and-PATCHES-for-less

Thanks in advance for help.
    Rays Pogs and Patches for less is a great place to get theatre made patches. The only thing is, they are new, not used. The ACUs do not have velcro on them. They are made in Kuwait.

The other place is not theatre made patches, just novelties. I would not recommend buying from them, but from Rays.
    Andrew
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3320

Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches Empty Re: Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches

Post by nkomo Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:56 pm

I collect theatre made patches.....attached to uniforms. Very Happy

Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 419

Post by zvez Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:51 pm

I've hundreds of Iraqi and Coalition patches in my collection. Been collecting for some time now.

Here's a few interesting Local mades, (most of these are iraqi made). Don't confuse those with "theatre made" which can be made essentially anywhere in the middle east. Iraqi local mades are very distinctive in construction.

Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches Local6sm

Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches Local7sm
    Chris
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:18 am

Okay thanks for advices. So, I need to start with something. Would be nice if I could find desert patches lot to buy. I'm not up to buy one by one over time. Smile

misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Post by misanthropic_gods Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:11 am

Well..Vets are always a good source for in-country made patches

I recently got this one off of a returning Reserve, Afghanistan vet that is also a Contractor. He had these made for his ANA training unit, but the Afghanis had a problem with the design

Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches Afghan002
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:12 pm

AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:14 pm

Merc,
    Also, there are ones to be on the look-out for that are knock offs. A lot of times, made in Taiwan can be sold off as theatre made. The merrow edging is the thing that is a big red flag on any "theatre made" patch.
    Andrew
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:52 pm

If Taiwan made patches are knock-off, then how come some Taiwan made patches are on DCUs?

nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:59 pm

Before anyone gets upset or their noses out of joint, I think Andrew is just trying to keep examples of theatre made patches in a centralized location.

Other than USMF, we are one of the only forums to start a theatre made patch reference section. I would encourage everyone who has examples of theatre made patches to post them in the appropriate section for our growing reference.
    Arch

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:30 pm

Personally, I see no problem with people showing examples of what to look for as far as theatre made patches. However, I would ask that the members also add the same in the respective theatre made patch sections.

Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:33 pm

I just want to say , I do not know the difference , and Andrew does , I post detailed pics of all my items here on the forum and wish that you guys use any of them in any of the educational/reference threads , I dont care about credit , but please use any pics I have !! you can even pull them off of my collecting websites .
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:If Taiwan made patches are knock-off, then how come some Taiwan made patches are on DCUs?
    Merc, They are sold at surplus shops, etc. Some people will try and sell them as theatre made on ebay. That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

Thank you Panzerwerk, will do.

Yes, we are the only forum besides USMF to start a reference section on theatre made patches from OIF/OEF (and I started that one), and the only forum to my knowledge that has brigade units referenced.

I am only trying to organize these threads, I look on USMF and I see random stuff everywhere in the same thread, and it really serves no purpose if it is not in it's correct place. Thank you for understanding.
    Andrew
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:09 pm

Just found this thread from USMF, it is a good example of fake theatre made patches. Unfortunatly, posts are permanent and I can't takeback what I said about Tawian Patches in it. Oh well. Enjoy.
    Andrew

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25730
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:50 pm

So thailand made patches will be collectible in future as well?

AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:28 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:So thailand made patches will be collectible in future as well?
    Taiwan, but maybe not. They might just be classified as just a different variation.
    Andrew
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:00 pm

Oops taiwan it is. Just wanted to make sure because I don't want to build up collection of fakes. Smile

AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:Oops taiwan it is. Just wanted to make sure because I don't want to build up collection of fakes. Smile
    I was the same way. But note, there are some patches that are only made in Taiwan.
    Andrew
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:43 pm

It's going to be piece of cake because WW2 patches have too many fakes. Guess I can easily start out nicely with modern patches.

jj
    jj
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : jj
    Registration date : 2009-09-13
    Number of posts : 25

Post by jj Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:43 am

He has a Patch for "ODA-26".

Hmmmmmm.

ODA -Two Six.

Up until a 4th Battalion was added,Operational Detachments Alpha had THREE (ODA-114,A-124 ect) and now ODA's have FOUR numerical designators...

Something aint quite right there. BOGUS!!

Now,if it was a ODC,or a SFOB,and had 2 numbers,maybe,but even still,no SF group designators BEGIN with "2".

Civil Affairs Teams Alpha,yes. SF-No.

he has nothing but garbage anyhow. $99.00 for a "Team Nomad" patch grouping!!!!! Outta yer mind dude!!!
    zvez
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 419

Post by zvez Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Very little faith on any of the stuff on ebay being more than curio "collectble" items and not legit stuff. A few exceptions, but mostly avoid ebay stuff.

Chris
    bhmilitarycollector84
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : ben hoffman
    Registration date : 2009-09-07
    Number of posts : 19

Need help: I'm considering to start to collect OIF/OEF patches Empty theater made patches

Post by bhmilitarycollector84 Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:03 am

if you know what your looking for and know what your doing , ebay can be a great sorce for theater made patches, you just need to know what your looking for , be advised there are erro patched that werent finished , that look like theater made patched but they are not , i have a few i picked up for cheap , 173rd and 1st cav ,

rays pogs is a great sorce of theater made patched , yes most of them are kuwaite made , but thats still theater , and for the price , they are great patched , i have several of them in my collection , and i really like them ,

andrew
    sometime you get them with velcro on them from rays pogs , i have gotten several from him with velcro backs , both my isaf acu theater patches from him had velcro , and a few othe infantry patched

just my input on this subject ,

ben

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am