IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
downboy
Camo_fiend
Easy Gee
jimmyduncan23
Martin
CollectinSteve
peace_benny5405
filupe
Guessologist
13 posters

Made In China - Not this time thanks

Guessologist
    Guessologist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Ben P.
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 282

Made In China - Not this time thanks Empty Made In China - Not this time thanks

Post by Guessologist Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:09 pm

An interesting new story that popped up this week.

Following a release to the media and some strong public reaction....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/no-chinese-fabric-will-be-used-in-army-uniforms-says-greg-combet/story-e6frg8yo-1225828735358

It's probably only a matter of time.

cheers.
    filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Made In China - Not this time thanks Empty Re: Made In China - Not this time thanks

Post by filupe Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:53 pm

The truth is that the Australian Army has procured and used 'Made in China' items before. The previously issued OD green lightweight quilts (sleeping bag liners) and first pattern nylon DPCU 2 lt. water bladder covers were two items that come to mind.

The problem is merely a matter of economics. Unfortunately, when companies (and governments) remain transfixed on the 'bottom line' and forget morally higher goals such as obligations to keep one's neighbours employed, issues like this will always remain.
    peace_benny5405
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-02-11
    Number of posts : 206

Made In China - Not this time thanks Empty Re: Made In China - Not this time thanks

Post by peace_benny5405 Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:14 am

i am a chinese , but i also don't want the ADF gear made in China . Embarassed
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Yes, it is a trend. Most non "western" countries have their uniforms made in China these days. Some of the smaller military "western" countries, like Sweden and Norway, do as well. Others do partial or full outsourcing to cheaper countries, such as Belgium using Tunisia and Italy using Hungary for sources. I don't know about Finland, Denmark, or Spain, but as far as I know the sewing is still done within their own borders. The lower cost industrialized countries of the former Soviet Union/Warsaw Pact appear to still be doing their own production, as is Turkey. The fairly large sized militaries of the UK, US, Germany, Canada, and Australia are bucking the trend and still producing things domestically.

Steve
    Martin
    Martin
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Martin
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 923

Post by Martin Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Steve, Australian military ain't large....... we're tiny..... Smile
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:17 pm

heh... well, compared to US and UK, that's true! However, it's a lot bigger than anything else in your neck of the woods. It's also about twice the size of countries like The Netherlands and Belgium. So if the ADF is tiny, then those others are miniscule Smile

Steve
    jimmyduncan23
    jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1482

Post by jimmyduncan23 Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:23 am

not really indonesia the biggest muslim country in the world and with a large military is right next to us couple of hundred km's away and we have a standing army in the 30000. we have a small defence for compared to most western countries even small euro ones and we have a massive land mass
    Guessologist
    Guessologist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Ben P.
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 282

Post by Guessologist Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:27 am

More on this....
    wandering the local market here in Ulaaanbaatar, I came across a roll of Auscam fabric which, like most of the stuff here, is straight out of China.

So, the question is: Is the fabric sourced from China and construction of the uniforms done in Aus?

Cheers
    Ben.

p.s. Other patterns found here include French CCE, Singpore Digital, ROK Digital,Iraq police digital, Greece Lizard.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:57 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Yes, it is a trend. Most non "western" countries have their uniforms made in China these days. Some of the smaller military "western" countries, like Sweden and Norway, do as well. Others do partial or full outsourcing to cheaper countries, such as Belgium using Tunisia and Italy using Hungary for sources. I don't know about Finland, Denmark, or Spain, but as far as I know the sewing is still done within their own borders. The lower cost industrialized countries of the former Soviet Union/Warsaw Pact appear to still be doing their own production, as is Turkey. The fairly large sized militaries of the UK, US, Germany, Canada, and Australia are bucking the trend and still producing things domestically.

Steve

Steve.

I disagree ,The UK DO outsource our MTP to China sadly....sign of the times I'm afraid.

In fact the more I look into this , the more i realise a lot of British kit is made in PRC.

Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:11 pm

I don't understand the cost savings tradeoff of crappily-assembled uniforms versus decent ones.

Truth be told, it's probably more expensive in the long run to keep on with the bad uniforms, due to how often they must be replaced when they wear out. Sure, the savings may be immediately noticeable, but they carry a negative effect in the long term. Yes, the immediate investment in slighty higher-quality (and therefore more expensive) uniforms may show through at first, but if it lasts, there's a lower replacement cost down the road. Wouldn't it make more sense to invest in a large quantity of well-made uniforms that will last through rigorous use, than to continually purchase equally large batches of crappy uniforms (and crappy replacements) that fall apart after only light wear?

Legitimate uniforms used for proper soldiering, in real combat, need to be well-made and durable... from domestic materials in domestic factories if need-be, to ensure that durability. How efficient can soldiers be in the field if they are constantly at the quartermaster tent, having to replace combat trousers with a blown-out crotch? scratch

Just my 2¢. Smile

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    Martin
    Martin
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Martin
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 923

Post by Martin Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:36 am

Camo_fiend wrote:I don't understand the cost savings tradeoff of crappily-assembled uniforms versus decent ones.

Truth be told, it's probably more expensive in the long run to keep on with the bad uniforms, due to how often they must be replaced when they wear out. Sure, the savings may be immediately noticeable, but they carry a negative effect in the long term. Yes, the immediate investment in slighty higher-quality (and therefore more expensive) uniforms may show through at first, but if it lasts, there's a lower replacement cost down the road. Wouldn't it make more sense to invest in a large quantity of well-made uniforms that will last through rigorous use, than to continually purchase equally large batches of crappy uniforms (and crappy replacements) that fall apart after only light wear?

Legitimate uniforms used for proper soldiering, in real combat, need to be well-made and durable... from domestic materials in domestic factories if need-be, to ensure that durability. How efficient can soldiers be in the field if they are constantly at the quartermaster tent, having to replace combat trousers with a blown-out crotch? scratch

Just my 2¢. Smile

I agree with your thoughts, however I think the sad truth is, is that it's probably cheaper to buy up bulk from China and just replace stuff.
    downboy
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Nes
    Registration date : 2010-05-23
    Number of posts : 162

Post by downboy Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:44 am

Made in China does`nt necessarily mean crap.We`re just so used to the made in China knock offs that are trully crappy.Other european countries have their uniforms made in China.Besides the Australian army have these made to specs.Truth of the matter is its all about cost cutting.Labor is way much cheaper in China than in OZ.
    filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:58 am

downboy wrote:Made in China does`nt necessarily mean crap.We`re just so used to the made in China knock offs that are trully crappy.Other european countries have their uniforms made in China.Besides the Australian army have these made to specs.Truth of the matter is its all about cost cutting.Labor is way much cheaper in China than in OZ.

All of downboy's comments are quite valid in my experience. I found Italian Vegetato uniforms and Wustertarn jackets in Hong Kong a few years ago which had me seriously scratching my head. Australian uniforms are made to quite rigid specs. The Govt. will have no problem knocking it back if it's not up to spec - having said that sometimes you come across the odd garment which has been constructed 'differently'.

One of the other factors that hasn't been explored fully is the expected field life of a uniform. Given the climate of Australia, uniforms are going to be relatively lightweight. This means that expected field service life can be quite short, therefore, the requirement may indeed for cheaper, more 'disposable' uniforms.
    Recon369
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2014-07-18
    Number of posts : 13

Post by Recon369 Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:38 am

Made at home does not always mean quality just ask some of our Canadian boys that were in A'stan. Sometimes it means keeping local incompatent or un-competative companies in business. I think our soldiers deserve the best equipment, no matter where its made.
    Recon369
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2014-07-18
    Number of posts : 13

Post by Recon369 Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:42 am

The material for the first CADPAT uniforms was sourced from Pakistan because the Canadian textile industry was not up to producing the digital print.
    Bolty717
    Bolty717
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Bolty
    Registration date : 2012-11-22
    Number of posts : 330

Post by Bolty717 Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:50 pm

NZ has some of the new MCU item made in China, Combat Jacket and the Wet Weathers. Nothing wrong with the quality of manufacture, just a case of economics.
    2/1kiwi
    2/1kiwi
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dan
    Registration date : 2011-03-03
    Number of posts : 368

Post by 2/1kiwi Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Have you worn the wet weathers?

The DPM Swazi stuff is better. Alot better.
    Bolty717
    Bolty717
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Bolty717 Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:21 am

Yep, used the jacket the most. Did Gillespie Pass in the SI in some pretty bad side ways rain with pack and it was ok, hard to tell if better or worse so far. Haven't been able to find much out on the material.
    2/1kiwi
    2/1kiwi
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by 2/1kiwi Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:34 am

Ok fair enough, I wore mine straight from the packet and was wet thru on on the chest and back, after about an hour.  Arms were sweet and jacket zipped right up.
    Bolty717
    Bolty717
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Bolty717 Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:29 am

Did you do a RODUM on it? I have heard that there have been some issue with the WW.
    2/1kiwi
    2/1kiwi
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by 2/1kiwi Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Yea it was done.
    Trundle Troop

Registration date : 2014-08-30
    Number of posts : 2

Post by Trundle Troop Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:33 am

The new cold weather jacket being issued in the Australian Multicam colours is being supplied by an Australian (Canberra based) company called CROSSFIRE, but it's made in Vietnam!!
    jimmyduncan23
    jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1482

Post by jimmyduncan23 Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes but every one rates it highly, finally a good cold weather jacket

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am