IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
vonstuck
Camo_fiend
panzerwerk
bajiman55
CollectinSteve
9 posters

Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged Empty Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:04 am

It's hard to find a fully badged jacket or even a picture of one. Here is mine, which is contains original badges in their correct locations, but not from this particular jacket. I pulled the unit and service badges off a damaged jacket and purchased the rank, nametape, and CANADA arcs from a Canadian surplus shop.

Enjoy!

Steve

Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged IMG_5893
    bajiman55
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Yehoshua
    Registration date : 2010-04-02
    Number of posts : 55

Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged Empty Re: Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged

Post by bajiman55 Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:06 am

Thats a cool pattern. What's the little round patch on the right arm?
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged Empty Re: Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged

Post by panzerwerk Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:49 am

Very nice Steve !!
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:08 pm

Very nice garrison jacket! This a pattern you don't see too much of, good job!

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:41 pm

The little badge on the right arm is called a "Trade Badge", which is often called "Specialty" or "Qualification" badge in other militaries. This one is for the lowest level of Signals. Which I just discovered, so I think I'll be giving the jacket a demotion to a Corporal or something similar Very Happy

Steve
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3395

Post by vonstuck Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:24 am

Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged 100_9221

Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged 100_9225

Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged 100_9223

Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged 100_9224
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Very nice jacket, Gilles! The 22nd is based in Quebec. I have no idea what that red patch on the right arm is for!

My 22nd beret has a very nice metal badge on it, but it's the same (though smaller) as your woven badge. I don't know if this helps indicate date.

Steve
    Jumper-K

Registration date : 2012-03-21
    Number of posts : 1

Post by Jumper-K Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:31 pm

The red patch is the 1st Canadian Infantry Division.
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 am

The famous Van-Doo's Smile More a fan of the PPCLI myself as they were based in Calgary when i was living there.

Mind you, that jacket is one reason NOT to join the Canadian military Laughing It is a cheap looking jacket , no ?

And to have a camo jacket that is designated ONLY for wear around barracks and not in the field ..... what's that all about ? scratch
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:48 am

Nobody has ever come up with an adequate explanation for why an OD field uniform and a Camo garrison jacket. And no, I don't think anybody liked wearing them.

Steve
    cobalt545
    cobalt545
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-07-23
    Number of posts : 189

Post by cobalt545 Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:16 pm

The horrible garrison uniform was only in service for just under 5 years. When I joined the regular army in 1996 we were issued this uniform along with all the other stuff. As a recruit it was part of our locker display for morning inspection. When we finally got to our battalion we turned the jackets in to the tailor to get the badges sewn on. So after spending $20 to have my PPCLI and infantry trade badges sewn on a week later we were told the garrison uniform is now obsolete. Ugh.

Personally, I was glad to see it gone. It was an impractical, ugly uniform that made no sense to me. Why do I need a camo jacket for the office? It was made mostly of polyester and was hot to wear. Even in winter I used to sweat my ass off in it. It also required a lot of maintenance. Spit shon boots and crisply ironed shirt and pants. It was a total pain in the ass. The old school NCOs were treating it like a dress uniform and wanted the troops to be well turned out at all times. This made it impractical as a daily work uniform since the troops were reluctant to get their boots scuffed or get the uniform dirty in any way. It ate up lots of your personal time and money trying to keep it in parade ready state. Lots of laundry, lots of ironing, lots of polishing.

It was rumoured that the garrison uniform was brought into service at the request of non-combat arms types who wanted to feel good about themselves since they never went to the field but still wanted to feel like soldiers. I was glad to see that useless POS get phased out. Now we only have 2 uniforms, the CADPAT combat uniform and our DEU dress uniforms. So much simpler and more practical.
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Definitely a poor uniform of questionable utility. I have the dubious distinction of having one of the nicest ones, badged to the airborne guys! Very Happy

Canadian Garrison Jacket fully badged Picture12672

Where did they even source this pattern from? It looks to be partially inspired by that horrible Street Fighter movie.
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:37 am

I imagine that it's short service life and unpopularity (meaning guys didn't want to hang on to them) means they will become relatively rare quite quickly.

However, I assume a lack of combat history and that impracticality will mean thy will never reach teh sort of prices after 50 years that Lizard has !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am