IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre Empty Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:00 pm

I recently discovered that Sabre has discontinued making their signature light 3 color desert (Wüstentarn) uniform. Apparently they have sold off most of their stocks as all they have left are XXXL and some Smalls of some things. Normally I wouldn't spend money on commercial items, especially ones big enough to put a VW inside Wink, but I've always had a great love of this pattern and did not want it to slip away from me. I purchased the parka, jacket, and trousers all in the KSK configuration. Unfortunately no boonie hat or other headgear remained to purchase.

These uniforms first started appearing back in 2004, IIRC. The cut of the uniform is based on an actual Bundeswsehr special forces uniform made in both Temperate and standard Desert patterns. Sabre'sl variation of Flecktarn camouflage is apparently the sole property of Sabre. I've seen some use of it in Afghanistan and Luftlande officer I know said for sure it was used. To the best of my knowledge Sabre's version of this uniform was never produced directly for the BW, just used as private purchase.

Now that I have the uniform in my hands I'm kicking myself for not getting one in a Human size. It's a beautiful uniform with lots of nice features. Oh well, at least I have this one.

Steve

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre IMG_6457

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre IMG_6459

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre IMG_6461

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre IMG_6460

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre IMG_6458
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre Empty Re: Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre

Post by misanthropic_gods Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:58 pm

That pattern looks really cool! Its almost like CADPAT AR meets Desert Fleck.

Its too bad they are discontinuing it
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:16 pm

Neat pattern, indeed. The pants look similar to the TacGear trousers, with the compression straps on the pockets.

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:36 am

Okay, sorry to pick up on such an old thread, but I am myself a spot-type camouflage hound, and this camo is amazing!

I was fortunate enough to be warned early in the summer 2010 about Sabres discontinuation of their take on Wüstentarn, and managed to get a snipers smock and matching, suspended trousers in my size, but never got the combat shirt.

After a bit of digging around on Google images, I've found both KSK-style compression strap trousers and BDU-cut coat/light jacket at the German site:

www.recon-company.com - under wüstentarn.

It is in the same 3-colour camouflage, it looks to be military spec with German flag to the right shoulder, but I can't make out the tag for a makers mark or name.

I'll save up a bit as they are being offered at 99,95 EUR a pop, but will relay a small quality, tag/maker and general feel review when received!

Just wanted you guys to know!

(Uh-ah and Steve; boonie hats are back on the menu at Sabre's original website, along with long shorts in most sizes!)
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:49 am

Thanks for the info!

Wow... Recon Company wants a lot of money! I'm glad I got mine when I did, even if the sizing is terrible.

I now see that Sabre has the hats. I wish I had seen this when I bought the uniform from them. Oh well, I'll probably get one from them now. Thanks for the heads up!

Note that the "sniper" versions they advertise aren't the same as the style officially used by BW, as far as I can tell.

Steve
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:11 pm

Trust me, I don't want to open up another 'which camouflage pattern is the best'-kind of discussions here, but it seems to me that most of the spot-type patterns work exeptionally well.
    Both specifically in the areas they were each designed for, of course, but they are also some of the most versatile patterns around, as they don't need the exact colour scheme or general lines from topography or vegetation to blend in effectively. They seem to sponge up their surroundings.

German Flecktarn and Tropentarn, Danish M/84 and T/99, Austrian K-4 pea pattern and especially the Chinese Type-03 or 'Tibetan' patterns all work in my native Danish nature year round, with the brown-dominated or arid patterns in autumn-winter and the green, woodland types for spring-summer.
    The Austrian pea-dot camo, with its pinks and greys seems an unlikely candidate for a versatile camo, but take it into the forrest or to the hillsides on a snowfree and muddy winters day and you are g-o-n-e in the eyes of others.

Likewise, Sabre's take on a three-colour desert pattern, as Mr. misanthropic_gods said earlier is a good blend between CF CADPAT arid pattern and BW tropentarn, and works surprisingly well, not just in sandy, arid or desert environments but also in Western Europe (and I guess North American) autumnal and winter conditions.

I love it and can't figure out why Sabre would discontinue its production, but they made exceptionally well constructed Danish M/84 and desert T/99 pattern smocks, trousers and combat shirts up until a year ago, and at that time I asked them why they halted production, and the reply was: "Not enough sale, against a high cost of production". Makes sense, but it is regrettable.

I bought Sabres SAS-style smock and the 'Sniper-type' trousers, which is merely a high-waisted, cross suspended and knee-padded pair of pants. Neither are in the recent BW configuration, but extremly wellmade and stylish gear - any size small collectors out there ought to buy the last few smocks from Sabre's website NOW - you will not regret it
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 795

Post by michelwijnand Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:44 am

Reviving this ancient thread instead of making a new thread for just this.

While not made by Sabre it is in the light camo variation and seems to have an actual BW label as seen on my normal pattern smock from the same maker.
    It seems to have a mistake in the NSN (which isn't the first I've seen in German items) as the 1 removed from 3813 does lead to a database entry for some
    combat coat entry dated from 18 march 2010, so correct for the year too.

So now I'm wondering what this is even supposed to be, did the BW actually start making runs of this pattern after Sabre discontinued? Was it a trial maybe?

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre Dsc07121
    Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre Dsc07119
    Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre Dsc07120

And my normal Scharrer made smock for comparison.

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre Dsc07118
    Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre Dsc07116
    Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre Dsc07117
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 795

Post by michelwijnand Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:52 am

And I also just found this pic of a label inside some pants in the same pattern on some sales website, and then this link, in which the NSN in the file with the bigger sizes that one also checks out.
    And apparently it is officially called Wüstentarn, the other one actually only being 3-ftd which everyone already was calling Wüstentarn.

https://www.yumpu.com/de/document/read/29013616/tl-8415-0294-lh-bundeswehr

Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre German10
    Examples of Wüstentarn by Sabre German11
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:21 am

I missed this thread when it was revived.

Legitimate production of Wüstentarn was done in 2002 and 2010, the majority in 2010. Saber and Leo Köhler made items in Wüstentarn, but these were strictly commercial (though unofficially used at times). For the most part it seems only KSK used Wüstentarn.

Official combat shirts made in the late 2000s were only made in 3 FTD and 5 FTD, not Wüstentarn. However, Leo Köhler made combat shirts in Wüstentarn and I was told they were used unofficially.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:00 am