IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

1st Model ARID CADPAT uniform?

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

1st Model ARID CADPAT uniform? Empty 1st Model ARID CADPAT uniform?

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:34 pm

I recently landed an ARID climate CADPAT uniform in the same cut as the last model OD uniform (waist tabs on trousers). The tags are of the pre-CADPAT type and are dated 1997. The workmanship is top notch and all the expected features are there, so there are no obvious signs that it is a commercial piece. It is made in Pakistan (there is a separate label stating this), however I do know that the Canadian MOD had to farm out original production because domestic cloth printing lacked the ability to correctly print the digital pattern. The screwed up run of cloth which was made into FRONTANEC uniforms was part of the domestic learning process.

My question is... do any of you know if there was a test sample made in 1997? I usually am not one to believe I have something special without proof, but there's a lot of evidence that says it is. Informed commentary greatly appreciated!

Steve
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

1st Model ARID CADPAT uniform? Empty Re: 1st Model ARID CADPAT uniform?

Post by misanthropic_gods Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:55 am

I dont know how old this is, but I have seen a test Arid CADPAT shirt in the same pattern as the current USMC desert digital, if it looks like this, then they could be the same.

1st Model ARID CADPAT uniform? CADPAT-Desert-Trial-Jacket
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks for the follow up! Very interesting test example!

The strange uniform I have is the same exact, and I do mean exact, CADPAT Arid camouflage pattern as a legitimate used example I have. The two differences between it and the 1st Model full production are the cut and the colors. The cut is identical to the OD version, which has some small differences from the CADPAT uniform (no velcro shoulder tab on the left arm, for example).

From what I've been able to piece together, initially the Canadians outsourced test production "overseas" because their on domestic printing capacity wasn't capable of printing hard edged drawings like this. The early cloth that was rejected, and made into Frontenac branded uniforms, shows evidence that even after they tried domestic production they didn't get it right.

For now my operating theory is that I have a test sample made in Pakistan for the Canadian MOD. I think it's unlikely that some company would go through such lengths to create an exact replica of the OD uniform, complete with useless trouser belt loop buttons, MOD perfect stitching, picture perfect camo pattern copy, on exact Canadian style cloth, with pre-CADPAT features and labels, then after all of that put "Made in Pakistan" labels on it. It just doesn't make sense. They would surely have skipped out on a bunch of expensive features, cheaped out on the sewing, or at least left off the export tags.

Steve
    falldownjaeger

Registration date : 2011-01-23
    Number of posts : 8

Post by falldownjaeger Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:27 am

Some of the Arid CadPats in that first pattern with exposed buttons are knock=offs made in Pakistan complete with BeVo labels. To conform with Canadian law, commercial uniforms cannot be made to DND pattern. The first Fronenac knock-offs had the rectangular thigh pocket flaps with two buttons, coats had epaulettes.

When DND went to the covered buttons, the commercial uniforms were then allowed to be made closer to the 1st model with exposed buttons, the waist tabs on the trousers, no IR flag flap on the left shoulder etc.
    falldownjaeger

Registration date : 2011-01-23
    Number of posts : 8

Post by falldownjaeger Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Here's some pics of the repro Arid CadPat Pants I have:
    1st Model ARID CADPAT uniform? ReproAridCadPatPants1
    Notice the BDU-style waist adjustment tabs, the extra buttons on the belt loops, different contour pocket flaps.
    1st Model ARID CADPAT uniform? ReproAridCadPatPants2
    And the bevo woven label with the fake NSN number:
    1st Model ARID CADPAT uniform? ReproAridCadPatPantsLabel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:13 am