IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Relic/Battle Damaged M-35 Stahelm

Edward T.
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-12-12
    Number of posts : 50

Relic/Battle Damaged M-35 Stahelm  Empty Relic/Battle Damaged M-35 Stahelm

Post by Edward T. Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:04 pm

I thought I would share this piece as I'm still confused at it myself. Very Happy

Over the summer a flea market vendor was selling this particular M-35 helmet. The large shell hole on the left side was patched with duck tape and tinfoil (looked to have been there for quite a while), sloppily painted gray with hand added SS runes, lots of rust, and sand added to the gray paint. The seller said he picked it up at a estate sale and would sell it for $15, the same price he paid.

I stripped and sanded the helmet down to bare metal (there was no original paint left)and put lots of primer and coats of Krylon for future protection.The helmet is still very solid and retains it's shape well.

Here is a left profile shot showing the largest of damage.

Relic/Battle Damaged M-35 Stahelm  Profil10

Right profile shot and cleaner then the left.

Relic/Battle Damaged M-35 Stahelm  Profil11

Reverse of helmet showing one entry hole towards the bottom of helmet, also several dents and a stress crack towards the top.

Relic/Battle Damaged M-35 Stahelm  Revers10

And finally the interior the of helmet. Not much left but the separately applied vent holes.

Relic/Battle Damaged M-35 Stahelm  Inside10

Unfortunately the history of the helmet is lost. Perhaps it was shot up in battle or by a couple of hooligans in the woods? Perhaps it was a grave marker helmet taken by a tourist after the war? Hit with a pickax?

Regardless, it makes a nice paperweight lol!
    mr.b
    mr.b
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Scott
    Registration date : 2009-04-05
    Number of posts : 143

Relic/Battle Damaged M-35 Stahelm  Empty Re: Relic/Battle Damaged M-35 Stahelm

Post by mr.b Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:39 pm

WOW
    I would hate to be the poor fella that wore that lol. I have a battle damaged police helmet like that. I should post pics of that. i like the paint job you did on it incredible.
    B
    Edward T.
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Edward T. Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:32 pm

mr.b wrote:WOW
    I would hate to be the poor fella that wore that lol. I have a battle damaged police helmet like that. I should post pics of that. i like the paint job you did on it incredible.
    B

Thanks for the reply!

That police helmet sounds very neat, can't wait to see pictures. Very Happy
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:57 am

Hi Edward.

I love it, it looks to have battlefield damage typical of these era lids, bet it looks cool on display Wink
    Edward T.
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Edward T. Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Hi Edward.

I love it, it looks to have battlefield damage typical of these era lids, bet it looks cool on display Wink

Thanks Easy! Indeed it does look cool in person. Very Happy
    Dolan
    Dolan
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-07-22
    Number of posts : 15

Post by Dolan Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:58 am

Sounded pretty sloppy beforte youn redid it.. wel done! and good find Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:25 am