IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed.

Guessologist
    Guessologist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Ben P.
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 282

Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed. Empty Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed.

Post by Guessologist Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:17 am

All,

Having posted this thread elsewhere with no luck (some of you will no doubt recognise the post), I'll put it here and see if anyone can confirm my thoughts:

This smock is interesting for a number of reasons, and I'm not entirely sure if it is an Indonesian issue item.
    Originally sold to me as a jacket used by Indonesian peacekeeping troops in Palestine is comes with a removable liner, wired hood and beavertail:

Smock/Jacket
    Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed. Tnismock2003

Beavertail:
    Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed. Tnismockbeavertail

Hood:
    Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed. Tnismockhood

Label:
    Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed. Tnismocklabel

Liner:
    Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed. Tnismockliner

A few things stick put here that make me question the authenticity of the jacket:
    1. Peacekeeping operations started in 2006
    2. Standard pocket reinforcements are absent
    3. The label is TNI, not the standard TNI-AD, TNI-AU or TNI-AL
    4. According to a source, beavertails were last used in the 1960s.
    5. TNI sizes don't usually use L for large. It's generally a B.

A few things that support it's use as an issue item:

1. The label does state TNI, where usually Indonesian manufactured fakes have only the size stamped such as LL.
    2. Manufacture is quite complex, standard Indonesian fakes are in the M65 jacket category.
    3. The jacket was only available from the seller as a large size, indicative of surplus, as these would generally be too large for the typical Indonesian.
    4. The beavertail is unusual having never seen one on Indonesian fakes.
    5. The zipper is a good quality YKK manufacture.

My thoughts at this stage are: 2003 Manufactured jacket issued in 2006.

Has anyone else seen this or have pictures of it in use?

Later jackets issued for Banda Aceh and later peacekeeping operations are distincly different. I'll post some pictures of these in the future.

Cheers,
    Ben.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed. Empty Re: Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed.

Post by Easy Gee Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm

That is a very interesting Parka,it is an almost exact copy of the British Falklands Arctic parka,e.g.quilted hood,and velro in liner etc,except it's ripstop,I can't positvely ID it for you unfortunetely,but I like it a lot , I believe in 1984, the Indonesian Army General Benny Moerdani ordered the entire Armed Forces to standardize to a British style DPM.

If I did'nt know better I would say it was a very good Falklands Parka / commercial piece,but as you stated the label states otherwise... bit a mystery piece for sure!

I hope you do get a positive ID on it though,as I understand how frustrating it can be, good luck Wink
    Guessologist
    Guessologist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Ben P.
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 282

Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed. Empty Re: Indonesian DPM Smock - help needed.

Post by Guessologist Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the input. Yes, the Indonesian DPM is called Loreng Malvinas... literally Falklands Camouflage and it was around that time that it was introduced.

Further developments on IDing this smock.

The Generic TNI label now apprears to be a multi-role label for items commonly used between all divisons of the armed forces: Navy, Army and Air Force.

Current thinking is that this is a 2003 manufacture issued in 2006 and is a legitimate issue item.

Regards,
    Ben.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Guessologist wrote:
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for the input. Yes, the Indonesian DPM is called Loreng Malvinas... literally Falklands Camouflage and it was around that time that it was introduced.

Further developments on IDing this smock.

The Generic TNI label now apprears to be a multi-role label for items commonly used between all divisons of the armed forces: Navy, Army and Air Force.

Current thinking is that this is a 2003 manufacture issued in 2006 and is a legitimate issue item.

Regards,
    Ben.

No worries Ben.

I wish I could have given you some concrete info to go, but I'm out my depth with Asian kit!!

Either way it is a very cool piece ,and I would love one in my collection,I love the Falklands Parka style ,so I reckon yours is well cool mate Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:44 pm