IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Question about 10 Para's sniper section in the 1980s

Longshaor
    Longshaor
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-01-02
    Number of posts : 34

Question about 10 Para's sniper section in the 1980s Empty Question about 10 Para's sniper section in the 1980s

Post by Longshaor Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:33 pm

A gentleman who was part of the sniper section of 10 Para in the early 1980s (under Col. Martin) referenced that they had used SS dapple pattern smocks in place of the issued DPM sniper smock. Does anyone have photos of this? I've been in touch with a number of members of 10 Para who've been kind enough to share photos of their time with the unit, however the ONLY sniper pictures that have surfaced are a series shot for Soldier Magazine during Op Lionheart. Any help would be appreciated!
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Question about 10 Para's sniper section in the 1980s Empty Re: Question about 10 Para's sniper section in the 1980s

Post by Bury_Dave Tue May 22, 2012 9:10 am

I wonder if your source meant the Austrian 'dapple' rather than the original WW2 SS camo which would have to have been as rare back then as it is now.

When you think they were using WW2 and '59 pattern Denisons and early DPM para smocks I would wonder why they would have thought the Austrian / SS would have been better. WW2 Denison camo is the camo of choice ; nice soft, dark tones. Maybe they thought it would mark them out a 'speshul' - not normally a good thing ! Be the grey man Wink

Dave
    Longshaor
    Longshaor
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-01-02
    Number of posts : 34

Question about 10 Para's sniper section in the 1980s Empty Re: Question about 10 Para's sniper section in the 1980s

Post by Longshaor Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:30 am

Wow, I'd forgotten I put this post up (life got way too busy in a bad way). I happened across a gent, late of the Green Howards, who had a gillie jacket made up on German Flektarn (sp?). I put two and two together and sent a photo off to my mate from 10 Para who confirmed this was the "German SS camo" he was referring to. He also added that this was something the sniper section was experimenting with and in NO WAY officially sanctioned.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:26 am