IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
loski
kammo-man
Easy Gee
Tyler Flint
Bury_Dave
9 posters

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern

Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern Empty Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern

Post by Bury_Dave Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Just a near mint and unwashed early, pale DPM Para Smock. Probably one of the first to get a NATO size label. The material is identical to some 1960 Pattern DPM smocks I once had.

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern Para1

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern Para2

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern Para3

Dave
    Tyler Flint
    Tyler Flint
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Username is the same hahahaha
    Registration date : 2011-11-14
    Number of posts : 296

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern Empty Re: Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern

Post by Tyler Flint Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:08 am

Me Likey! Very Happy
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern Empty Re: Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern

Post by Bury_Dave Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:14 am

Glad someone appreciates it ! Very Happy I'm amazed at some of the appreciative comments some of the common as muck stuff that gets posted in the Bragging rights section attracts when there are little gems all over the country specific zones that seem to get totally overlooked. Let's be honest, US woodland ain't exactly rare yet is it, EH ? Laughing
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Bury_Dave wrote:Glad someone appreciates it ! Very Happy I'm amazed at some of the appreciative comments some of the common as muck stuff that gets posted in the Bragging rights section attracts when there are little gems all over the country specific zones that seem to get totally overlooked. Let's be honest, US woodland ain't exactly rare yet is it, EH ? Laughing

Very nice Smock Dave, Collecting kit is an subjective topic that's for sure Mate Wink !!!
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Seen plenty of these in NI .

owen
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Post by loski Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:14 pm

HI Dave Nice
    Guessologist
    Guessologist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Ben P.
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 282

Post by Guessologist Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Still nice though........ I'd like one in my collection.

Cheers
    Ben
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 pm

One of the nicest examples of the early DPM para smock. Hold onto it dearly. And I agree, these things don't nearly get the recognition they deserve because they are generally similar to the later 1980s stuff that is a dime a dozen.
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:04 pm

kammo-man wrote:Seen plenty of these in NI .

owen

Not since 1984 you haven't ! Smocks took a severe bashing over there and soon wore out as I'm sure you know only too well. That's why they are so rare now.

Dave
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Post by kammo-man Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:01 pm

D ,
    I was born in Belfast mate !

Seen a lot of DPM over the years .............

The best one was being stopped by Paras and being asked "what the F#*k was I doing wearing a WW2 Dennison smock" .........
    Had to fess up and tell the lads I collected which was always met with smiles!!!!!
    Smock came from a local Arnhem vet who gave it to me along with a FS knife and a 44 patt waterbottle cover .
    He wore the jacket in combat but gave it to me to play war when I was around 10ish.
    He lived 2 doors up from me !!
    I think it was the Revelle STUKA with the snake decal down the side that alerted his to my war nut status.
    owen

Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Kin 'ell man !! What a great couple of stories !

Yep, you saw your share of DPM and then some. Not happy days though but hopefully behind us for good.

Dave
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Post by kammo-man Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 pm

D ,
    I split in 89 for London !!!

But I will tell you I was NOT shy about asking for Berets , badges and spotting any Squaddie with anything different on their kit.....

different DPM spotting was quite a hobby for me as a kid , was pretty sad when the old Dennison patterns faded out as DPM was quite boring after seeing a nice PARA 12 man foot patrol waltzing down the street looking cocky and acting war like with some lovely wooden stocked SLRs .............but I degress ,
    My brothers mated Da flew Lysanders into France and he could tell some mad stories about different stuff , thats where I heard as a kid about the SOE suit with its camouflage breef case covers .......thought he was pulling my leg until I seen one in the IWM in south London !!!!

Mate I could go on and one about finding squaddie dropped stuff ..like my NI gloves found on the street that fell of the hatch of a 109 !....they were wet ..but my pride and joy for a few years until someone knicked them from me a school !

owen
    Tyler Flint
    Tyler Flint
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Username is the same hahahaha
    Registration date : 2011-11-14
    Number of posts : 296

Post by Tyler Flint Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 pm

I get lots of CF Issue Kit at Cadets thats just been left here and there around base, I must admit theres nothing better then finding a piece to add to your collection for free.
    Albano
    Albano
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-02
    Number of posts : 236

Post by Albano Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:29 am

Thats my top favourite in the vast range of british DPM smocks made so far. Must get hands on one of those.
    Thanks for sharing Dave!

Best regards

Tommo
    Tommo
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Rory Thompson
    Registration date : 2011-07-21
    Number of posts : 341

Post by Tommo Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:16 pm

This one is mine, its identical to Dave's except in a bit worse condition and heavily faded, this was at the Falklands Filming for the Yesterday Channel (Sky 537), I'll be on telly on the 1st April at 9pm if anyone fancies a watch! Wink

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern 810dc029
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Looks good Tommo. I'll keep an eye out for you !

Now how about a good photo of the smock in all it's glory ? Very Happy
    Tommo
    Tommo
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Tommo Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 pm

I got it for £15 on eBay a few years ago, it had pockets on the back, compass pouch on the front, holes and a black zip and cuffs, all the holes have been repaired and the pockets removed and the cuffs replaced, only the compass pouch remains and the black zip, but can I find a YKK OD zip? nope! Wink

Here we go:

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern IMG_8684

Heres my other, again its had longer cuffs fitted and there was a hood in the pocket when I got it, good condition though, this was £30:

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern IMG_8686

Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Very nice Tommo, thanks for posting them. What sizes are they ?

Oh, and how long is the zipper you need to replace that crappy looking plastic one ? I MAY be able to help .... if not directly then getting you in touch with a supplier who can help you.

Dave
    Tommo
    Tommo
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Tommo Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Not sure mate, the faded one is quite big whereas the other one is very small, theres no labels so I can't give exact sizes Sad

I think I measured it to about 30 inch, not quite sure, will double check, however many thanks!
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:40 pm

I reckon a size 7, 8 or 9 '68 pattern zipper might be long enough ...... I'll see if I've got one that's past its' best and can cannibalise the zipper for you.
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:43 pm

What's the most reliable way to tell apart these early P77 smocks from the newer 1980s examples without looking at the print?

Brass-looking Newey snaps? The labels?
    Tommo
    Tommo
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Tommo Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Newey Poppers, No Right FFD Pocket and they have the same YKK OG Zip as the P60 and P68 Jackets.
    Tommo
    Tommo
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Tommo Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Yep, around 30 Inch mate, and cheers Dave, your a star!
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Don't get too excited yet ! I'll do my level best though Very Happy
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Post by loski Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:04 pm

Tommo wrote:This one is mine, its identical to Dave's except in a bit worse condition and heavily faded, this was at the Falklands Filming for the Yesterday Channel (Sky 537), I'll be on telly on the 1st April at 9pm if anyone fancies a watch! Wink

Earlier issue DPM Para Smock - so-called '77 pattern 810dc029

was the yesterday prog actualy filmed in the Falklands.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 pm