IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
ripcord
Bury_Dave
Gulf91
7 posters

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock.

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. Empty Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock.

Post by Gulf91 Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:32 am

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0007_zps46e137b6

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0008_zps8a5dc8a9

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0010_zpse01161ce

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0011_zps44ac306a

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0012_zps3a4ec6ac

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0013_zpsd82f0f4a

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0002_zps321e8860

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0003_zpsb520984b

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0004_zps4418af8f

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0005_zps8a6d3834

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. DSCF0006_zpsbc793b12
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. Empty Re: Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock.

Post by Bury_Dave Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 am

No offence meant but with extended cuffs, replacement zipper (both incredibly poorly done too..) and cut and worn to hell, why on earth did you buy it ? Question
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. Empty Re: Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock.

Post by Gulf91 Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:13 am

Because unlike some who collect MINT,UNISSUED,NOS stuff I like also the used and like this sometimes abused stuff as it has some history to it unlike some item of clothing that never left the stores.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 am

And also unlike a lot of collectors I dont have the mega bucks to spend either so buy what I can afford Very Happy
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. Empty not mint

Post by ripcord Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Here is a para smock in decent shape

rip...Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. P1010112
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:22 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Falklands-pattern-airborne-smock-and-lightweight-trousers-/121061832059?nma=true&si=cCP23wOBySNirr67GomKin6bkJg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thats another reason why I have a battered old smock and not a nice shiny one.
    fez
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : lee
    Registration date : 2011-11-26
    Number of posts : 178

Post by fez Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:26 pm

I must admit, i like field used kit myself Very Happy
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:29 pm

fez wrote:I must admit, i like field used kit myself Very Happy

Cheers Lee.

Dont get me wrong,I have a few unissued items and am not knocking people that ONLY buy unissued or mint items but for me used and abused items also have their place in my collection pirat

Plus,battered,falling to pieces or not its still an early smock which counts for me Smile Smile
    fez
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by fez Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:32 pm

So do i, but its nice to think a bit of kit was actually used in the field and as you said, not just on a shelf.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock. Empty Batter ed up

Post by ripcord Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:36 pm

An old "battered up" piece has the character a new shiny one can never have.
    I was fortunate to acquire some decent pieces decades ago.

enjoy, rip...
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:36 pm

I understand not being particularly bothered whether mint or not but I was curious with this as it is obvious that it is in a condition WAY beyond acceptable use by a serving squaddie and it's not something remotely rare. It's clear it's been trashed and badly mod'd by a non serving soldier.

Rare kit you have to take what you can find / afford, but common kit, well, I was just curious. Not being wealthy myself, I find that I need to be very discerning as past experience has shown that the money I wasted on things I only bought coz it was there and cheap, was money squandered. Better to go for quality than quantity surely ?

To each their own like I said. Very Happy
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm

"77 Pattern" Para Smocks are common-news to me : Shocked :
    mk209
    mk209
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2012-05-23
    Number of posts : 218

Post by mk209 Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:47 am

Another one here for battered used kit. I still have my very first 68 pattern jacket I ever bought waaaay back in '93 I think? (yes it still fits). It's worn and has so many repairs but it's comfortable and it came from a serving Ghurka (has his name and number in it) so it has a little bit of history and I wouldn't part with it for anything. It still gets worn.

Matt.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Gulf ,my opinion for what it's worth!

I like it ,it clearly has provenance which is worth way more than some item sat on a shelf still in it's poly -bag,and yeah, it's been mucked about with,so what!

I will always prefer used kit over NOS, as it tells a story or two!

Saying that it is useful to have NOS stuff, as the labels are legible etc.

If you had spent an absolute fortune on it ( knowing you, I bet you didn't) then shame on you, but I assume you did'nt,and it was cheap to buy,so good on you.

There are similar Para smocks,down my local surplus store,with these type of non standard features,in fact I bought one awhile ago.

I can't get my head around garment fads,one minute if they are "customised,then they must show some signs of being a bit forces on the special side, next minute these type of garments are to be poo-pooed,cos they are non-standard...my advice whack a couple of SF flashes on it..bingo it's a winner Laughing
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Gulf ,my opinion for what it's worth!

I like it ,it clearly has provenance which is worth way more than some item sat on a shelf still in it's poly -bag,and yeah, it's been mucked about with,so what!

I will always prefer used kit over NOS, as it tells a story or two!

Saying that it is useful to have NOS stuff, as the labels are legible etc.

If you had spent an absolute fortune on it ( knowing you, I bet you didn't) then shame on you, but I assume you did'nt,and it was cheap to buy,so good on you.

There are similar Para smocks,down my local surplus store,with these type of non standard features,in fact I bought one awhile ago.

I can't get my head around garment fads,one minute if they are "customised,then they must show some signs of being a bit forces on the special side, next minute these type of garments are to be poo-pooed,cos they are non-standard...my advice whack a couple of SF flashes on it..bingo it's a winner Laughing

Cheers Gary Very Happy

Nope,the smock didnt cost a fortune hence why I bought it as no matter how buggered up its still a "77 Pattern" smock.I own a few NOS/UNISSUED bits and maybe if I had the financial means to do so would concentrate on a collection of said items but cannot so have to settle for what I can buy when I can afford it(2nd round of hour cuts at work certainly isnt helping Sad Sad ).

Regarding the(poorly done apparently) zip replacement and the extended sleeve/cuffs I have no idea if these were done when the smock was still in service or afterwards-maybe during the late 70s/early 80s clothing in issue was worn to destruction with QMs being not that keen to replace kit etc who knows but I guess if it served say in the Falklands and got damaged it would be a case of make do and mend?????

Either way I like it Cool Cool Cool Cool and shame I cannot do any more research regarding its use-only think I can find is that 8BTY could possibly be 8 Battery Royal Artillery which is part of or attached to(not sure)29 Commando.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:17 am

29 Commando, are based in my home town,of course they are wearing MTP now,which looks completely out of place in a City centre shopping precinct Laughing

8 Commando Bty are part of 29,it's a possibility this one was worn by a Gunner!
    fez
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by fez Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I was at condor for a while,29 were the only ones allowed to wear para smocks there.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:53 pm

So could well be from 29 Commando then Cool
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

Post by nkomo Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Gulf91 wrote:
    fez wrote:I must admit, i like field used kit myself Very Happy

Cheers Lee.

Dont get me wrong,I have a few unissued items and am not knocking people that ONLY buy unissued or mint items but for me used and abused items also have their place in my collection pirat

Plus,battered,falling to pieces or not its still an early smock which counts for me Smile Smile

That is my collecting philosophy too. Personal taste, I much prefer used/abused items as I think they display better on a mannequin.

Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Have a 59 Pattern Denison that is in worse condition than the Para Smock Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 am