IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Danish M/96 Helmet

HomerJ
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Josh
    Registration date : 2012-02-24
    Number of posts : 14

Danish M/96 Helmet Empty Danish M/96 Helmet

Post by HomerJ Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:49 pm

My latest acquisition, Large sized Danish M/96 SPECTRA Helmet with M/84 Camouflage cover!

Danish M/96 Helmet 431643_405761752783476_737498074_n

Danish M/96 Helmet 420456_405762836116701_100000489632833_1585431_1505569659_n

Danish M/96 Helmet 416891_405763576116627_100000489632833_1585432_731014237_n

The M/96 seems to differ from the French/Austrian version of the SPECTRA Helmet by having a different chinstrap... However, I have noticed that quite a few Danish troops have replaced the (IMO) badly designed chinstrap with a 4-Point upgrade kit made by an American Company called Oregon Aero - as I might also do.

As I'm sure most people who follow Danish kit know, they're being phased out for a MICH/ACH type helmet (Hjelm M/10) made by the America Gentex Corp.

/Josh
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Danish M/96 Helmet Empty Re: Danish M/96 Helmet

Post by Easy Gee Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Very cool Lid Josh, love the cover and the additional chinstrap modifications Mate, nice one Cool
    HomerJ
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by HomerJ Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Very cool Lid Josh, love the cover and the additional chinstrap modifications Mate, nice one Cool

Cheers, mate! The cover is really nice, it takes some effort to pull the bloody thing on, but when it is eventually on, it's not going anywhere Very Happy

Haven't modded the chinstrap yet, but I will do very soon... I actually plan on wearing it somewhat, and even though it isn't *that* bad a helmet as it is, I couldn't put up with the chinstrap and the sweatband in warm conditions, that I can see getting very smelly and itchy, which is no surprise that none of the Danish troops who kept the original strap and suspension, actually wear it properly and leave the strap hanging under the chin.

Having seen Armadillo many times, I've noticed at least 4 troops in the platoon with the Oregon Aero upgrade kits... Also seen one on eBay with the upgrade and a few more photos of troops preparing for their ISAF deployment with it installed. They're not really that cheap but well worth it, being as the original strap is pretty terrible in terms of comfort and (in all likelihood) for the helmet's stability.

This is somewhat strange, because the company that made it (as far as I am aware) absolutely nailed the Canadian CG634's chinstrap (although not so much the suspension, again) and it's stability was pretty spot on, and I'd say probably on par with Ops-core's chinstraps.

However, these new MICH type helmets they've brought should really have dealt with all the problems of instability and discomfort... but, having seen the latest video footage of the troops in Afghan, they're still not wearing their chinstrap properly lol... old habits die hard, I suppose Razz

/Josh
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:19 am

No worries Mate, good luck with the upgrades Wink
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:42 am

Very nice bit of kit Josh ! Looks a bit like the Canadian helmet.

As mentioned elsewhere, it's a shame so many countries are going for the same look from the same manufacturers. That marvellous myriad of different camos and kit are being suplanted by soldiers who's only differences will be a few badges. Lord help us if we all go to war with each other ! Very Happy
    HomerJ
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by HomerJ Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Yep, the Canadian issue helmet retained the clam shell type adjustment 'thingys' on the strap, which IMO is a fantastic design... The CF helmet did however have a completely different peak, it being much smaller, making it look more MICH/ACH-like than the PASGT type Danish issue one.

I must agree that different armies' kits are becoming ever similar, which saddens me, especially with the news of Denmark adopting Multicam Sad

Personally, I don't see the point... Their gear has improved vastly in the last couple of years, and having seen Armadillo, I'd say the mix of M/84 and M/01 desert camouflage works like a charm... Same goes for the British Army and out new MTP, I know a former Sergeant from the Royal Signals, and he said that it wasn't the camo that needed changing, it was the kit it was printed on.

/Josh

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 pm