IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
1stDivVet
CollectinSteve
kammo-man
vintageproductions
panzerwerk
vonstuck
10 posters

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment

vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3410

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment Empty South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment

Post by vonstuck Mon May 28, 2012 1:29 pm

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment 100_8024

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment 100_8025

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment 100_8026

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment 100_8027

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment 100_8028

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment 100_8029

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment 100_8030

South Vietnam camouflage,South Vietnam patch
    North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment and comunist slogan write inside
    The translation of the slogan in French
    résolu de se battre jusqu'à l'ultime sacrifice
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment Empty Re: South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment

Post by panzerwerk Mon May 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Wow , very cool Jacket !
    vintageproductions
    vintageproductions

Name : Bob Chatt
    Registration date : 2011-07-26
    Number of posts : 265

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment Empty Re: South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment

Post by vintageproductions Mon May 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Thee type garments were available in the War Market in Saigon in the late 1980's for sale to the tourists.
    There was a lot of left over camo material when the South fell, and years later there were many uniforms made out of them, and cut in a Northern style. There were Erdls (real erdls, not BDQ pattern), Tiger stripes, Ranger / BDQ ,Nationalists Field Police, etc.
    The inisgnia on this above shirt has been removed from other garments and sewn on this one. Just looks at the silk woven 5th division and you can see where it has been on at least two other garments. Typical of the shop owners that sell to the tourists, in their mind it didn't matter that the insignia is trashed, just sew it on a new garment, The Japanese & Western buyers won't know the difference.
    It's a cool piece as a novelty / variation, but it was not worn by any ARVN troops during the war.

Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 am

Agreed 100 %

owen
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Tue May 29, 2012 1:08 am

Regardless Giles ,A very Cool Jacket !!

Last edited by panzerwerk on Tue May 29, 2012 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Tue May 29, 2012 1:08 am

Fake .

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6940

Post by CollectinSteve Tue May 29, 2012 1:36 am

General question I've been pondering... how often do soldiers transfer badging from an older, say damaged, uniform to a new uniform? Especially during a very active military conflict? I can't believe that a new uniform never has older badges put on it legitimately by the soldier. Similarly, a jacket with evidence of a change of badging isn't automatically illegitimate because soldiers don't toss out their existing uniforms just because the got transferred to a new unit or received a promotion/demotion.

Obviously mismatching new badges with old uniforms and uniforms with changes in badging should give collectors pause to question authenticity. Especially if a badge shows signs of being sewn on three times or is on a cut of uniform nobody is familiar with. Or both Very Happy

Steve
    1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Tue May 29, 2012 3:24 am

I did that a lot. As a BDU rotted out, I took the good insignia off and put it on a new jacket. transversely, if I got a good deal on a used jacket, I put my insignia on it. I put insignia for my units on things I usually wouldn't be permitted to wear like tanker jackets and flight jackets too. No one said anything, but it wasn't regulation. Anyhow, that is a cool jacket Giles

Fins...

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

Post by nkomo Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 pm

I am wondering what the dead give aways are for this being a tourist trade jacket? Is it the cut? Is it the stamping? Is it the resewn patches?

If I had seen this at a flea market, I would have thought it to be an original. This is one of the reasons, I am very selective on buying Vietnam uniforms anymore.

Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Tue May 29, 2012 12:42 pm

For me it would be the cut. Shortened jackets of this type were a favourite Chicom cut as well. Although this may have been modified from an ARVN shirt, Chicom cuts also favoured pleated pockets from memory ...

When I was living in the Far East in the mid-'80s a certain local militaria dealer made frequent trips to Vietnam and brought back loads of stuff like this (as described by Bob).

I'd have to go with Bob and Owen on this ... definitely post-war
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Tue May 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks, Filupe.

Registration date : 2012-05-28
    Number of posts : 3

Post by thefallenbuddha Wed May 30, 2012 3:41 pm

I saw shirts like this with an added drawstring waist, and also fake "tour jacket" type text/graphics on the back when I was in Vietnam last fall. There was just one vendor who had these, and there were many of them - virtually all identical. At the time, I had thought since they looked different from most of the other modern made items, someone might grab them up and try to list them on Ebay as originals (I dont think this has happened yet). This one doesn't have the graphics on the back, but it does have the same basic pattern more or less (from my memory).
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Wed May 30, 2012 5:56 pm

thefallenbuddha wrote:I saw shirts like this with an added drawstring waist, and also fake "tour jacket" type text/graphics on the back when I was in Vietnam last fall. There was just one vendor who had these, and there were many of them - virtually all identical. At the time, I had thought since they looked different from most of the other modern made items, someone might grab them up and try to list them on Ebay as originals (I dont think this has happened yet). This one doesn't have the graphics on the back, but it does have the same basic pattern more or less (from my memory).
    Thanks for the additional information, sir.

Name : danilo matz
    Number of posts : 2103

Post by drmatz Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:08 am

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment Ngothe10

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment South_14

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment Tomwas10

South Vietnam camouflage- North Vietnam/ Vietnam cut garment Tranba10

http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz
    vintageproductions
    vintageproductions

Name : Bob Chatt
    Registration date : 2011-07-26
    Number of posts : 265

Post by vintageproductions Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Great images, but these show tucked in shirts, not the tourists cut, garments the thread started with.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:48 pm