IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover.

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. Empty M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover.

Post by Gulf91 Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:21 pm

M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. A2c65def

M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. 4f66f85a

M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. F78b5158

M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. E09a29a8

M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. 7214220d
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. Empty Re: M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover.

Post by Easy Gee Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Very nice Rich, the hood appears to be a Mle-64 piece, and not original to the lid I suspect, but as an example of this type of lid covering it's great, I have seen a lot of these Jacket hoods used in these lids, more commonly with the car door sealer type.

Nice Mate Wink
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. Empty Re: M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover.

Post by Gulf91 Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Very nice Rich, the hood appears to be a Mle-64 piece, and not original to the lid I suspect, but as an example of this type of lid covering it's great, I have seen a lot of these Jacket hoods used in these lids, more commonly with the car door sealer type.

Nice Mate Wink

No idea what model the hood is and as much smaller than the helmet a bugger to try to get on without tearing it(pics show 1st attempt).

Ideally what i should do is give the hood a good soaking and then try to fit hoping that it might stretch/mould to shape but the only thing thats stopping me is the helmet is an unissued 1954 dated one and am worried it might rust while the wet hood dries out???

Have also seen(but cannot find the pics at moment) seen these hoods fitted to the F1 early on as well.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:42 pm

Gulf91 wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:Very nice Rich, the hood appears to be a Mle-64 piece, and not original to the lid I suspect, but as an example of this type of lid covering it's great, I have seen a lot of these Jacket hoods used in these lids, more commonly with the car door sealer type.

Nice Mate Wink

No idea what model the hood is and as much smaller than the helmet a bugger to try to get on without tearing it(pics show 1st attempt).

Ideally what i should do is give the hood a good soaking and then try to fit hoping that it might stretch/mould to shape but the only thing thats stopping me is the helmet is an unissued 1954 dated one and am worried it might rust while the wet hood dries out???

Hi Mate.

Without seeing the hood on it's own, I would still hazard a guess as an Mle-64
    ( check out my M-64 Jacket in the French section)your absolutely right these hoods were used on F1's, there's a few sites showing cool period pics of these in use
    ( mostly French).

It it were mine, I would dampen the hood down, wait for a nice hot day, whack it on your lid and Voilà it will shrink to fit, and shouldn't cause a rust problem, that's what we used to do with our Mk6 covers and it works!!

Have also seen(but cannot find the pics at moment) seen these hoods fitted to the F1 early on as well.
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Post by loski Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:48 pm

I have seen an F1 with an olive parker hood as a cover held on with tyre inner tube but for the life of me I cant rember where I saw it.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Will try and re do it when i get a chance as far from happy how it looks now but it was my first attempt Very Happy
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Gulf91 wrote:Will try and re do it when i get a chance as far from happy how it looks now but it was my first attempt Very Happy

Well Rich I just tried too shoehorn my hood onto an M-51, and it was a struggle to say the least!!

So I whacked it on an F1, way better fit ,in fact it was almost like it was designed to go on one of these lids...amazing what you can achieve on a wet Saturday afternoon in the loft Laughing

M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. Dsc06730M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. Dsc06731M51 Otan Helmet with Green Hood/Cover. Dsc06732

Anyone else want to post up their attempt, the winner get's a week in Marseilles,courtesy of IACMC Smile

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:57 am

gary i must of been living under a rock for a while how did i miss out on all these great pics the cover looks grea ton both the m51 and f1 thanks james
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:55 am

jaycee wrote:gary i must of been living under a rock for a while how did i miss out on all these great pics the cover looks grea ton both the m51 and f1 thanks james

No worries James, between me and Rich, it was an interesting experiment Smile
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Still havent got round to soaking and shaping mine yet.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Gulf91 wrote:Still havent got round to soaking and shaping mine yet.

When you do Rich, it will be interesting to see the results.

I reckon if you do it on a sunny day,it will dry quick enough not to rust your lid Smile

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:30 pm

whats this soaking and shaping malarkey is it to shrink the cloth for a better fit
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 am

jaycee wrote:whats this soaking and shaping malarkey is it to shrink the cloth for a better fit

Basically James by soaking the cloth over the lid,it initially stretches over the shape of the shell, and as it dries ( especially in the sun) it shrinks to fit the shell...well that's the theory anyway, trial and error comes to mind with this technique.

It works well on Mk6 covers that I do know Smile
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Post by loski Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:28 am

The lable in the DDPM Mk6 cover that I have actualy say
    Hand Wash
    Do Not Bleach
    Do Not Iron
    Do Not Dry Clean
    Do Not Tumble Dry
    Replace on helmet when damp

so I guess that it works

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:42 am