IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Questions About White 58 Pattern Webbing

Longshaor
    Longshaor
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-01-02
    Number of posts : 34

Questions About White 58 Pattern Webbing Empty Questions About White 58 Pattern Webbing

Post by Longshaor Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 am

OK, I've seen a few bits and pieces pop up for sale on occasion and have a couple of questions.

How much 58 Pattern webbing was actually made in white? I've seen 58 Pattern belts & holsters, and a stand-alone bayonet frog (is that actually 58 Pattern?). Was there anything else? I know with the older P37 webbing there was a shoulder strap and brace attachment to mimmic the appearance of the Sam Brown belt. Did the 58 Pattern webbing have something similar?

Thanks in advance!
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Questions About White 58 Pattern Webbing Empty Re: Questions About White 58 Pattern Webbing

Post by Gulf91 Tue May 07, 2013 1:46 pm

In all honesty only bit of 58 Patt "factory" made in white I have ever seen(have one somewhere)is the Browhing holster.

Not seen a white 58 Patt bayonet frog to be honest only a courlene one.
    Longshaor
    Longshaor
    Corporal
    Corporal

Questions About White 58 Pattern Webbing Empty Re: Questions About White 58 Pattern Webbing

Post by Longshaor Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I saw a "58 Pattern belt" on eBay the other day that just looked off. Parts of it looked right, but the grommets were offset toward one edge rather than down the centre of the belt.

There is a "58 Pattern" white bayonet frog on eBay right now, but it's a dead ringer for a P44 frog.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Wed May 08, 2013 3:03 am

There is a "58 Pattern" white bayonet frog on eBay right now, but it's a dead ringer for a P44 frog.

Thats even more bizarre as no 44patt was made in white.

That belt sounds like one of the Nato ones(cannot remember what country)that look like a mix of 37,44 and 58 patt.
    Longshaor
    Longshaor
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Longshaor Wed May 08, 2013 8:56 am

That explains a lot. Initially I thought the belt was 44 Pattern, but it didn't have the buckles on the back or the rifle loop on the side.

The frog on eBay is an exact match for my green P44 frog except for the colour. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but when the 58 Pattern webbing came in, wasn't the separate frog was done away with as the bayonet was carried on the left ammunition pouch? I also looked at the Canadian 51 Pattern frogs, but they look as though they're not as long as this one.
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Post by loski Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 pm

I Used to see NCO's on duty at the School of MP'S in Chichester (before they closed it)wearing White Browning holsters (I think the pattern of the holster had not changed from when the Browning was introduced and was'nt realy a 58 pattern item)on white courlene belts with a matching cross strap and mag pouch. I do rember being issued a geen courlene belt and frog but I think the 58 p never had a seperate webbing frog, There some Australian green webbing frogs doing the rounds on evilbay at the moment and I think some black and white ones for the SLR bayonet could be one of those.
    Longshaor
    Longshaor
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Longshaor Thu May 09, 2013 9:05 am

I've been doing some digging around and it looks as though the belt I saw was Danish.
    Longshaor
    Longshaor
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Longshaor Tue May 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Correction to my last. Have located identical one in green, it's Dutch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 7:23 pm