IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Empty Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:30 am

I received this very puzzling jacket a few days ago. It appears to be a German police "Einsatz" (used mostly for riot control) jacket of a design I haven't specifically seen before. In other words, it shares a lot of features with known Polizei Einsatz jackets, but not exactly. The crazy thing is it's in 3FT desert Flecktarn camouflage. I've never seen anything like that before as the few pictures I've seen of German law enforcement in Afghanistan they are wearing solid color uniforms.

The only markings in the jacket is some writing (name?) on the inside pocket and a few blue lines of ballpoint pen. Where the label should be is instead a brown outline printed onto the cloth showing where the label should be sewn, I imagine.

I was able to match standard Polizei velcro patches onto the right arm and chest (see picture). The velcro across the back looks to be the same size as a specialized POLIZEI patch used for jackets like this. The normal one is about 20% wider, however that doesn't work for this type of jacket where there's pleats running from the shoulders down to the hips (both front and back of the jacket). This leaves only the badge on the left arm. I've never seen a German patch in this shape before, however a Luxembourg armed forces patch fits PERFECTLY. Knowing that the Lux forces have a history of using foreign uniforms I checked to see if maybe this was used by Lux Police. Could be, but I couldn't find any evidence for it.

I'd welcome any feedback people might have about this item. And no, I don't have the trousers Sad

Steve

Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Dsc01410
    Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Dsc01411
    Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Dsc01412
    Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Dsc01413
    Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Dsc01415
    Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Dsc01414
    Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Dsc01416
    Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Dsc01417
    Rich5x5
    Rich5x5

Registration date : 2015-07-10
    Number of posts : 9

Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Empty Re: Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket

Post by Rich5x5 Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:35 am

Hi there

Not sure if its police. As you say the Luxembourg troops use a lot of foreign camo, especially the American M81 Woodland versions. I found this and think this is "Circa 2010-2011 when Luxembourg introduced two new patterns for its own Army, a temperate design somewhat similar to the Finnish M05, and a desert design that is currently being worn by personnel deployed to Afghanistan (ISAF)."
    jimmyduncan23
    jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1489

Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket Empty Re: Very strange Desert Flecktarn Jacket

Post by jimmyduncan23 Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:46 am

Could it be for german police trainers for Afghanistan deployment. i know police where sent to train units like ANCOP and border police. would be a good reason why a cop from the riot area had desert camo.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:38 pm

For sure the German Bundespolizei (successor to BGS) were in Afghanistan training police units. Their missions are not well publicized, perhaps due to who they are training. For example, of GSG-9 members were there training the equivalent Afghani units then for sure there wouldn't be much to see in the public media.

The badge backing still bugs me. I know of no other badge, German or otherwise, that would fit that backing except for Lux. But the jacket is very closely patterned on German riot uniforms, yet not exactly so. And the Lux police units don't have the same shape/size badge as the armed forces. Which means it doesn't look to be Lux police, but it is also unlikely to be Lux armed forces.

Frustrating Smile

Steve
    jimmyduncan23
    jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1489

Post by jimmyduncan23 Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:11 pm

True, i have seen Luxembourg units in (other than their own desert uniform) French desert and Belgium desert camo.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:26 am

Yup.  We have a thread about Lux using Belgian desert.  US Woodland is well documented, and at least some pics of French Desert and standard Belgian Jigsaw. However, I've never seen them wear German uniforms of any sort.  And whenever they do wear another nation's uniforms, it's stock items and not customized pieces.  For all I know this jacket is some sort of prototype.  Unfortunately, the place I bought it from often has interesting trials and one off items, but they rarely know specifically what they are.

If this was worn by Lux military then it would be Lux military police.  So why they wouldn't be wearing the same kit as non-MPs?  And yet, if Lux civilian police units wore this then why is the badge velcro not in the shape of their police badging?  But if this is Bundespolizei, why is it not in the standard German police badging shape?

It seems that dang'd piece of velcro has ruled out all obvious suspects OR there's some badging out there that I've not come across which would explain everything.

Frustrating Wink

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:19 am