IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2

1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 Empty Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2

Post by 1stDivVet Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:51 pm

Here's a few examples of WW2 era dress jumpers showing the enlisted rank of WW2.

Apprentice Seaman: You earned this early in basic. Rank was a single white stripe on the cuff.
    Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 Srjmpr

Seaman 2nd Class: Most recruits had this rate upon graduation of basic and A school. It consisted of 2 white stripes on the cuff.
    Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 SAjmpr

Seaman 1st Class: Some sailors had earned this by completion of A school. It was the last rate before Petty Officer. It consisted of 3 white stripes on the cuff.
    Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 S1cjmpr

Petty officer 3rd Class: 1st of the NCO class. Consists of a Crow, rating, and a single red chevron. They are refured to as a Petty Officer except for the 3rd Class Boatswain's Mate which is traditionally called a Coxswain.

3rd Class Aviation Radioman/Arial Gunner
    Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 AVNblue

Coxswain
    Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 AmphibEuro

Petty Officer 2nd Class: 2nd of the NCO class. Consists of a Crow, rating, and a two red chevrons. They are also refured to as a Petty Officer.

2nd Class Sonarman
    Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 Sonarcoat

Petty Officer 1st Class: 3rd of the NCO class. Consists of a Crow, rating, and a three red chevrons. They are also refured to as a Petty Officer.

1st Class Constructionman
    Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 CB

The last enlisted rate was Chief Petty Officer. Called "Chief". They wore the officer type uniforms with Chief's rate. I'll do them in another thread.
    The stripes often seen on the shoulders, red and white, signified either 'Deck' branch or 'Fireman' branch. The first 3 ranks are different for firemen. IIRC, it goes 3rd Class, 2nd Class, Fireman. These were guys who worked in the engine room,and some of the engineering and machine shops. Deck rates were gunners, boatswains, signalmen, topside types.

Deck rated
    Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 PICT0002

Fireman rated
    Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 F2cjmpr

Hope you all enjoyed this and find it usefull.

Fins...

Name : Jeremy
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Number of posts : 1419

Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 Empty Re: Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2

Post by Mercenary25 Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Wow, room behind jumpers caught my attention. You have TONS of stuff!

Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 Oifbanner

http://oefoif.forumotion.net/forum.htm
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 930

Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2 Empty Re: Moving up from induction: USN dress jumper rank in WW2

Post by AndrewA74 Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:26 pm

Nice Aerial Jumper! It reminds me of what my Grandfather would have worn.
    Andrew

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm