IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Guessologist
panzerwerk
6 posters

    Bush Hat

    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel


    Name : Steve Hoeger
    Age : 56
    Location : California , U.S.A
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

    Bush Hat Empty Bush Hat

    Post by panzerwerk Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:00 pm

    Bush Hat FRAN15
    Bush Hat FRAN16
    Guessologist
    Guessologist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant


    Name : Ben P.
    Age : 54
    Location : Perth Western Australia
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 282

    Bush Hat Empty Re: Bush Hat

    Post by Guessologist Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:08 am

    Hi Steve,

    Have you taken the Rising Sun badge off the hat and had a look at the back?
    Wouldn't surprise me if there was a "made in China" sticker on it.
    I found the same badges in Melbourne recently and lo and behold "Made in China"

    Rgds,
    Ben.
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel


    Name : Steve Hoeger
    Age : 56
    Location : California , U.S.A
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

    Bush Hat Empty Re: Bush Hat

    Post by panzerwerk Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:26 am

    yup made in China !!! , the hat tag says it is made in Australia, so do they contract the badges to China or is it just a tourist thing , I got the hat for free so Im not out anything , but curious all the same ! Shocked
    Guessologist
    Guessologist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant


    Name : Ben P.
    Age : 54
    Location : Perth Western Australia
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 282

    Bush Hat Empty Re: Bush Hat

    Post by Guessologist Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 am

    panzerwerk wrote:yup made in China !!! , the hat tag says it is made in Australia, so do they contract the badges to China or is it just a tourist thing , I got the hat for free so Im not out anything , but curious all the same ! Shocked

    Not sure. The official badge is somewhat different. Perhaps one of our serving or ex-serving members can comment?

    cheers.
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR


    Location : Illinois, USA
    Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

    Bush Hat Empty Re: Bush Hat

    Post by misanthropic_gods Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:08 am

    This is the REAL cap badge
    Bush Hat Risun

    Also, for comparison here is MY 1942 Dated slouch hat..I have no idea of it is British or Aussie though, Failsworth Hats are in London, and the snaps are also UK made. Is has no brim edging, and no grommets in the vent holes. The Brits did make hats for the Aussie Army as well...so I think thats more likely.


    Bush Hat Slouchhat002-1

    Bush Hat Slouchhat001-1

    Bush Hat Militaria010-2

    I LOVE slouch Hats Very Happy
    filupe
    filupe
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR


    Location : Oz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

    Bush Hat Empty Re: Bush Hat

    Post by filupe Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:25 am

    misanthropic_gods wrote:
    Also, for comparison here is MY 1942 Dated slouch hat..I have no idea of it is British or Aussie though, Failsworth Hats are in London, and the snaps are also UK made. Is has no brim edging, and no grommets in the vent holes. The Brits did make hats for the Aussie Army as well...so I think thats more likely.

    The Brits used the slouch hat themselves during the Far East campaign - pictures of 'Chindits' in the field often show them with slouch hats. The 'Slouch Hat' was not necessarily a uniquely Australian preserve ...

    Panzerwerk's 'Rising Sun' is definitely not issue. The modern day 'Slouch Hat' is usually referred to as 'Hat, KFF' (Khaki Fur Felt). The term 'bush hat' is usually reserved for the cotton short-brimmed camouflage hat worn with combat dress.
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR


    Location : Illinois, USA
    Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

    Bush Hat Empty Re: Bush Hat

    Post by misanthropic_gods Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:14 am

    filupe wrote:
    misanthropic_gods wrote:
    Also, for comparison here is MY 1942 Dated slouch hat..I have no idea of it is British or Aussie though, Failsworth Hats are in London, and the snaps are also UK made. Is has no brim edging, and no grommets in the vent holes. The Brits did make hats for the Aussie Army as well...so I think thats more likely.

    The Brits used the slouch hat themselves during the Far East campaign - pictures of 'Chindits' in the field often show them with slouch hats. The 'Slouch Hat' was not necessarily a uniquely Australian preserve ...

    Panzerwerk's 'Rising Sun' is definitely not issue. The modern day 'Slouch Hat' is usually referred to as 'Hat, KFF' (Khaki Fur Felt). The term 'bush hat' is usually reserved for the cotton short-brimmed camouflage hat worn with combat dress.

    Hmm, quite possible it was used by the brits..im also confised by the hole left by a pin in the front of the hat...there is the ghost of a badge on the brim as well, I havent seen pics of Aussies with pins higher up on the hat, above the Puggaree not on it.

    Any pics of the Brins in the Far east with the slouches?

    maybe I should start my own topic, rather than leeching
    Martin
    Martin
    Captain
    Captain


    Name : Martin
    Location : Perth, Western Australia
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 923

    Bush Hat Empty Re: Bush Hat

    Post by Martin Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:12 am

    Can you post a pic of the tag or stamp inside the hat? Badge is definately commercial. I see these commercial badges and hats sold in tourist gift shops in town.
    Feindflug
    Feindflug
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant


    Name : Jens
    Age : 44
    Location : Augusta Treverorum, Germany
    Registration date : 2009-07-09
    Number of posts : 171

    Bush Hat Empty Re: Bush Hat

    Post by Feindflug Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 am

    agree with the others. It looks like a commercial badge.
    Will check with a friend of mine, who's involved in all the official badges the ADF issues.
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel


    Name : Steve Hoeger
    Age : 56
    Location : California , U.S.A
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

    Bush Hat Empty Re: Bush Hat

    Post by panzerwerk Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:47 am

    I will take a pic of the label later today.

    Sponsored content


    Bush Hat Empty Re: Bush Hat

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:09 am