IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Can you Identifly this Garrison Cap inscriptions. ?, i would like to have more information about it.

William_Blond
    William_Blond
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-09-26
    Number of posts : 74

Can you Identifly this Garrison Cap inscriptions. ?, i would like to have more information about it. Empty Can you Identifly this Garrison Cap inscriptions. ?, i would like to have more information about it.

Post by William_Blond Thu May 19, 2011 11:39 am

I puted yesterday this post in other wrong place, and then i'll put it here.

I bought this infantry garrison cap to a friend who collect this kind of caps. My friend bought this garrison and other garrisons in USA.

I would like to ask, if you know what does mean this inscriptions who appear inside of the cap. It says "K-9690, 27 Div.". I think that this could be "Company K, 27th division", because i found that the 27th division fought on the pacific, but i'm not sure. And also, i would like to know what does mean the number "9690", maybe, could be the personal soldier's number ?

Thank you so much !

Here you have the pictures.

Can you Identifly this Garrison Cap inscriptions. ?, i would like to have more information about it. Perfilh

Can you Identifly this Garrison Cap inscriptions. ?, i would like to have more information about it. Perfil2tc

Can you Identifly this Garrison Cap inscriptions. ?, i would like to have more information about it. Marcajes
    1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Can you Identifly this Garrison Cap inscriptions. ?, i would like to have more information about it. Empty Re: Can you Identifly this Garrison Cap inscriptions. ?, i would like to have more information about it.

Post by 1stDivVet Thu May 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi,

Your cap was used in WW2 and Korea. That pattern was more prevelant in the late 40's and into the 50's. The blue piping of course is for infantry. The marking inside, K-9690, is the soldier's laundry mark. First initial of the last name and last 4 of the serial number. For instance, Pvt. John Smith, RA12345678 would mark his informs and equiptment S-5678. The 27th Div probably does mean 27th Division. Hope that helps..

Fins...

Corporal
    Corporal

Can you Identifly this Garrison Cap inscriptions. ?, i would like to have more information about it. Empty Re: Can you Identifly this Garrison Cap inscriptions. ?, i would like to have more information about it.

Post by William_Blond Thu May 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi 1stDivVet.

Thank you so much for your help, you has resolved my doubt. But what does mean exactly a Soldier's "laundry mark" ? i don't understand very well.

This is very interesting. Do you know if i could search for some data base in some webside this code ?.

Have a nice day. And thank you again Wink

Rubio.
    1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Mon May 23, 2011 11:09 am

Rubio,

The laundry mark is an ID stamp used by the soldiers to identify thier stuff and mark it individually as thiers. The laundry is done in bulk, so there are a lot of uniforms mixed together. Not to mention, if you have severl individuals with the same last name. The Laundry mark, therefore, identifies this as to which soldier. So Pvt. John Smith with a hat size of 7 1/2, shirt of 14X32, and pants of 32X34 doesn't get Pvt Ray Smith's stuff which is a 6 3/4 hat, a 15 1/2X34 shirt, and 31X34 pants. Since both would have different serial numbers, it makes it easier to identify. The reason ou would see it on web gear and helmets is because the soldier is responsible for his own stuff, so if it gets stolen, it can be proved it's his and if he loses it and his drill instructor, platoon sargeant, officer, etc. can identify who it belongs to. Also, if a thief is caught, they can identify who he stole the gear from. It's a very common thing to see on WW2 and Korean War stuff.

By the way, the US disc on the side looks modern and wasn't worn there normally anyways, so you might want to remove it. It's for the collar of khaki shirts and the dress jackets.

Fins...

Corporal
    Corporal

Post by William_Blond Tue May 24, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi again 1stDivVet !

All clear now, thank you so much by your help, is very courious the explanation about the laundry, but is completely logical. cheers

Bye !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 am