IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type???

    avatar
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel


    Age : 51
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? Empty British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type???

    Post by Gulf91 Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:35 am

    Not sure if I have asked this before but does anybody know please which is the correct type of hat used during the conflict as I have different styles-different vents,labels etc or were different types used.

    Also,were the 91 ones different to the later types?

    Thanks.
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant


    Location : England
    Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 810

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? Empty Re: British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type???

    Post by bravo_2_zero Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:36 pm

    Gulf91 wrote:Not sure if I have asked this before but does anybody know please which is the correct type of hat used during the conflict as I have different styles-different vents,labels etc or were different types used.

    Also,were the 91 ones different to the later types?

    Thanks.

    Large American mesh covered air vents are early as used on jungle boonies, new boonies have shoelace air vents.
    avatar
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel


    Age : 51
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? Empty Re: British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type???

    Post by Gulf91 Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:46 pm

    bravo_2_zero wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:Not sure if I have asked this before but does anybody know please which is the correct type of hat used during the conflict as I have different styles-different vents,labels etc or were different types used.

    Also,were the 91 ones different to the later types?

    Thanks.

    Large American mesh covered air vents are early as used on jungle boonies, new boonies have shoelace air vents.

    Thats what I always thought until the other day whilst browsing through period pics saw a guy wearing one with the small vents Surprised
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant


    Location : England
    Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 810

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? Empty Re: British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type???

    Post by bravo_2_zero Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 pm

    Gulf91 wrote:
    bravo_2_zero wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:Not sure if I have asked this before but does anybody know please which is the correct type of hat used during the conflict as I have different styles-different vents,labels etc or were different types used.

    Also,were the 91 ones different to the later types?

    Thanks.

    Large American mesh covered air vents are early as used on jungle boonies, new boonies have shoelace air vents.

    Thats what I always thought until the other day whilst browsing through period pics saw a guy wearing one with the small vents Surprised

    Could have painted them out , I have one where the big eyelets have been painted over with sandy pink paint ?
    avatar
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel


    Age : 51
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? Empty Re: British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type???

    Post by Gulf91 Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:18 pm

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? DSCF0002_zps320a60d2

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? DSCF0006_zps1effd596
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant


    Location : England
    Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 810

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? Empty Re: British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type???

    Post by bravo_2_zero Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:31 pm

    How about the vents were removed for whatever reason and what you are seeing is the round holes cut into the cloth ?

    Could even be 3rd party as I saw some copy desert kit around 91/92 very early one. I'm not talking full uniforms but deffo baseball caps , hunting vests and things like that. They were sold at the RAF Hemswell marketon Sunday at only one surplus stall, there was about 6 on that market. Where I bought a full set of sparse deserts for £3 in 46" chest and 36" waist.
    avatar
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel


    Age : 51
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? Empty Re: British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type???

    Post by Gulf91 Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:40 pm

    The pic isnt very clear on the screen but in the book its clear that the vents are present.
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant


    Location : England
    Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 810

    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? Empty Re: British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type???

    Post by bravo_2_zero Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:35 pm

    Theory

    I work with eyelets and even buy ex MOD stock used for ponchos. The place we buy them from makes the ones found in boonies as we find the odd one from time to time mixed in.

    Now I know when we run low or even out of stock of of these it can take upto 2 weeks before a new batch can be made ready and shipped.

    Now , this could be a case of new army issue desert kit was like rushed into service and a full outfit was required. So Compton & webb had just enough eyelets in to take care of the odd order of jungle green boonies but not a mass panic manufacturing run of urgent desert kit.

    The boonie here could well have been made with shoelace eyelets as they had ran out of the air vent mess type due to massive demand and that's all they had in stock , the vents from berets , boots and such like ?

    Sponsored content


    British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type??? Empty Re: British Boonie Type Hat-Which is the correct type???

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:09 pm