IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
FobanX
moretz
jimmyduncan23
ripcord
sgtfcm
Bury_Dave
marco747
koalorka
drmatz
Crna Strela
CollectinSteve
Philip
panzerwerk
Camo_fiend
vonstuck
19 posters

San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage

Kaaspersky
    Kaaspersky
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Le Camoufleur
    Registration date : 2023-06-15
    Number of posts : 31

San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Empty Re: San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage

Post by Kaaspersky Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:01 am

Hello guys,

Sorry I'm late to the party.

I started collecting COMSUBIN/BSM camo just a few months ago and I wondered if you guys would have more infos on one of the shirts I have.

One is obviously from the Battaglione San Marco, bearing the distinctive patch over the breast pocket, the second is an issued one too.

My wondering is about the third one, it's a light shirt, branded "FAICON" which could be civilian but I don't find any infos on that a part from them producing insulated pants for the military.

The style is inbetween military gear and a civilian pattern. Anyway I'm very curious about it, if you have any infos I'd be glad.

Have a great day.

LeCamoufleur.

San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Captur13
    San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Captur11
    San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Captur12
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Andy
    Registration date : 2016-02-12
    Number of posts : 2687

San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Empty Re: San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage

Post by Haydamaka Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:45 am

Hello, Le Camoufleur!
    Welcome onboard!

In my humble opinion, the last shirt (FAICON) is just a commercial shirt, no relation to the Italian Navy, Marines, COMSUBIN etc.
    The fabric of the shirt is just coloured similarly to the well-known Italian camouflage.

ripcord and Kaaspersky like this post

Kaaspersky
    Kaaspersky
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Kaaspersky Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:05 pm

I thought so too, still a very cool piece to wear casually.

The pants and jackets are obviously BSM but the lone jacket does not bear the green stars at the collar and has a different velcro pattern, I'm curious of where it's from.

Thanks for the help and have a great day.

LeCamoufleur
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2782

Post by ripcord Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:19 pm

There are 3 types of what is properly called Marina Militare  ( Italian Navy ) pattern(s).
    These uniforms were worn by all Italian Navy members, not just San Marco Marines and COMSUBIN.

First 2 types have embroidered green stars on collar points. 3rd type do not.  3rd type have sown on stars as worn by all services, not just Italian Navy .  

It was common to remove stars once item was deemed surplus. I have seen 1st and 2nd type blouses with embroidered stars removed .

Here are the 3 types in order...

First type    *****                                        San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Dscn9059                                 

Second type
                                                                                                          San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Dscn9058

Third type                                                     San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Dscn8354

*****  1st types were issued with some pattern diversity, thus  a few different shades of the pattern exist . 2nd and 3rd pattern was standardized to just one.

mylle and Kaaspersky like this post

Kaaspersky
    Kaaspersky
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Kaaspersky Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:56 pm

Very nice, thank you mate.

Great pics and very cool collection if those are yours

ripcord likes this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6916

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:20 pm

Thanks Rip, I kinda lost track of what was going on with BSM uniforms while they were in transition. Now I'm straight on the types.

There's also a variant of the 1st type with the embroidered BSM logo as seen on the 2nd type. Otherwise no difference between the 1st types.

I've got a picture from June 2007 that shows the 3rd type with sewn on collar stars vs. the embroidered ones. Early version?

Steve

San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 1024px10

Kaaspersky likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:29 pm

[quote="ripcord"]There are 3 types of what is properly called Marina Militare  ( Italian Navy ) pattern(s).
    These uniforms were worn by all Italian Navy members, not just San Marco Marines and COMSUBIN.

First 2 types have embroidered green stars on collar points. 3rd type do not.  3rd type have sown on stars as worn by all services, not just Italian Navy .  

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:15 pm

And one more thing.

3rd pattern types used by San Marco Marines do not have the SM patch sown on left pocket.

The SM patch is now round and placed on right shoulder and another shield shaped patch (Italia patch or Italia with SM patch ) is placed on left shoulder, like the photo Steve posted.              

Also, notice the Fucilieri ( rifleman ) rate on the rank patch of the fuciliere at the right of photo.

San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Dscn8355

FobanX
    FobanX
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-03-10
    Number of posts : 69

Post by FobanX Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:20 pm

San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Sanmar10
    San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Comsub10
    San Marco and COMBUSIN camouflage - Page 4 Comsub11

Camonut314, deltaevo978, ripcord and TennoHeikaNate like this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6916

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:45 am

Nice to see pictures of this super rare uniform. I'm still kicking myself for turning down a set for $250 about 20 years ago because I thought I could find one cheaper. One of my Top 5 mistakes!

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:34 am