IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Need some educating on Pattern 1951 webbing

NorthOf49
    NorthOf49
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2021-02-26
    Number of posts : 10

Need some educating on Pattern 1951 webbing Empty Need some educating on Pattern 1951 webbing

Post by NorthOf49 Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:09 am

I have a number of totes in my basement now as I help a friend deal with his brother's estate, which included items of web and other surplus gear from a few different countries (I'll be posting questions on a couple of other sub-forums here about some other stuff).

The Canadian P37 gear that is in the totes I'm familiar with, less so the Pattern 1951. Mr. Summers "Tangled Web" has been very helpful but I'm hoping to draw upon those more knowledgeable here. Here are some photos of the kit laid out in two batches. Pardon the oblique angle on a couple of them, but it was either that or a bunch of it hidden in my shadow.

Is this indeed all P51 gear, as best you can tell? I'm mostly wondering about the entrenching tool and the canteen, as the former is not illustrated outside the case in the Summers book, and the canteen, though it and the billy are U.S. manufactured, has a Canadian soldier's regimental number on it. I can provide additional info and photos if that would help. Thanks for any information.

Need some educating on Pattern 1951 webbing Img_9010
    Need some educating on Pattern 1951 webbing Img_9011
    Need some educating on Pattern 1951 webbing Img_9012
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Need some educating on Pattern 1951 webbing Empty Re: Need some educating on Pattern 1951 webbing

Post by Wolverine Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm

All of the web is standard WE 51 pattern. The e-tool appears to be a typical US M1943 model, and not the scarce Canadian 51 pattern - is there a marking on the spade?

It is pretty common to find plastic canteens with Canadian service numbers, as the original 51 pattern aluminum canteen was only in production for 3 or 4 years before the Canadian Army introduced the plastic canteen. In my experience, there is about an equal chance of finding a US-made or Cdn-made plastic canteen in WE 51 or WE 64 sets. If you show the canteen cup, it is possible to identify US or Cdn manufacture.
    NorthOf49
    NorthOf49
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2021-02-26
    Number of posts : 10

Need some educating on Pattern 1951 webbing Empty Re: Need some educating on Pattern 1951 webbing

Post by NorthOf49 Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Thanks very much, Wolverine. The metal canteen cup is, indeed, also US manufacture.

There is a marking on the spade, but it is hidden/illegible behind the paint. There's some stuff that may, or may not, be additional WE51 in other boxes, so will do a bit more digging.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:06 am

Probably it is a US-marked e-tool, likely dated 1944 or 1945.

NorthOf49 likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 9:35 pm