IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
Alfie73
Necrolust
APreston
cairyhunt
Rich83
Bury_Dave
sh4pak
saltefanden
Albano
DS9ACU
jeva
nkomo
1stDivVet
Flecktarn Australia
parafal
Gulf91
helm40
loski
HoovieDude
misanthropic_gods
Mk1rceme
Camo_fiend
Easy Gee
Philip
28 posters

THE HELMET THREAD

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Empty Re: THE HELMET THREAD

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 am

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 001-5THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 002-3THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 003-3THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 004-3THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 005-3THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 006-3
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Cool looking tankie Helmet James, I like the salty look of the paint job, what's the story behind this one Smile
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:34 pm

jaycee wrote:THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 001-5THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 002-3THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 003-3THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 004-3THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 005-3THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 006-3

Same model/type as the 6 I have of which on various forums nobody can identify Sad Sad

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:43 pm

crikey gulf 6 of them wow ,can i ask if any of them are complete with all the attachments earphones /mic etc as for the designation i too havent a clue i just thought it called cvc if possible could you post a few piccy's of yours id like to see them, thanks james
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 am

Did ask a while back if you would be interested in one of them,a lot cheaper than what you paid for yours Sad Sad

Will post up some pics,all complete,some with carry bags and some also with stores tags.

I have searched high and low for info regarding them on various forums,Google,searching the NSN numbers etc but have come up with nothing.

I bought them thinking(hoping)they were Desert Storm era helmets as they are of a similar shape but these arent.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:10 am

darn it did i leave the price tag visible in my photos again ,shame on me ,dont go to any trouble gulf to take photos of yours i just thought you might have an old photo from this thread you could repost no worries james
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Check out this link for more info regarding these AFV Lids.

http://www.cascoscoleccion.com/granbret/gbafv76.htm
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi

I thought you might like to see this relic Civil Defence Mk 2 , I can't make what the script on the front say's ,but the shell was originally black with red writing ,the only letter I can make out looks like an M, the liner is completely trashed, the shell it's self is dated 1939 and was has remnants of the original factory applied Khaki/Grey paint.

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Dsc07411THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Dsc07412THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Dsc07413[url=https://servimg.com/view/14840844/3010]THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Dsc07415THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Dsc07414[/url]
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:06 am

Easy Gee wrote:Check out this link for more info regarding these AFV Lids.

http://www.cascoscoleccion.com/granbret/gbafv76.htm

Great link but confusing,are they referring to the similar helmet that looks to have been Belgian issue as while I cannot find much info on them no way were they(the type James and I have)in service 1976 and obsolete by 1983(think that is the Dan Dare type they refer to).

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:00 pm

nice find on the mk2 gary the liner/chinstrap seem to be in a fair condition ,well i finally found a sibling for my iraqi m1980 a nice salty but complete one chinstrap and nape is present and in good condition with a faded and barely visible iraqi acceptance stamp on the liner and some other scribblings for 20 quid im best pleased enjoyTHE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 001-6THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 002-4THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 003-4THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 004-4THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 006-4THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 011-1
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks James, yeah I like your new M80, looks very nice Mate.

And for 20 quid BARGAIN!!!, normally lot's more cash than that,good one Mate Very Happy

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:20 pm

thanks gary im chuffed with her ,these iraqi lids are just full of character and each tells its own story ive heard they are fast becoming harder to to come by ,i feel lucky to have two examples cheers james
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:32 pm

jaycee wrote:thanks gary im chuffed with her ,these iraqi lids are just full of character and each tells its own story ive heard they are fast becoming harder to to come by ,i feel lucky to have two examples cheers james

Absolutely Mate, couldn't agree more.

They do seem to be thinish on the ground, but then again there have been many on ebay recently, but have attracted big payouts.

My first one was cheap, but they are definetley attracting more money now, get them while you can is my mantra Smile

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:34 pm

how many m80's do you own gary out of interest Very Happy
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:04 pm

jaycee wrote:how many m80's do you own gary out of interest Very Happy

Well, the missus would say too many. I would say not enough.

But from memory 5 or 6 Wink

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:33 pm

Shocked ,your one lucky guy gary ,i think a divisions worth of these m80's would make for a great display Very Happy
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:16 am

jaycee wrote: Shocked ,your one lucky guy gary ,i think a divisions worth of these m80's would make for a great display Very Happy

Cheers Mate, I am dedicated when it comes to specific lids, good idea for a display too Very Happy
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:12 am

James I Decided to use your tips and ideas to smarten up my Austrian lids, here are the the results Mate, whatcha reckon?

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Dsc07419THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Dsc07420
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:01 pm

Guys, I have been playing around this afternoon ,trying to recreate the "Falklands Mk 4 cammie look" ...basically whacked on a P68 Hood and some vehicle netting,not too sure about the results myself, but what do all think???

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Dsc07425THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Dsc07426THE HELMET THREAD - Page 25 Dsc07427
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Post by loski Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Gary
    I think that has worked out quite well I would randomly add a few bits of brown and yellow hessian scrim to add some depth to the vehicle netting just my 2p worth.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:38 pm

loski wrote:Hi Gary
    I think that has worked out quite well I would randomly add a few bits of brown and yellow hessian scrim to add some depth to the vehicle netting just my 2p worth.

Cheers Graham, it kept me busy on a boring Sunday afternoon, quite agree ,it definetly needs some Hessian tied into it,plus the netting is not period I got this from the RCT in the 90's, it needs work, I will get back to the drawing bord and show the results Smile
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:48 am

Gulf91 wrote:Captioned as an RAF Instructor but given he is wearing WW2 type Windproof Smock+Trs would say more than likely SAS.

If I were going to be picky, I'd say it was a post WW2 manufactured smock Wink

He's in full HALO rig.

There was no different label tag for helmets with O2 clips. It was done by RAF riggers and not that many (relatively speaking) were made at all let alone at one time. Still have my complete sand oversprayed one in my attic for trade if anyone is interested......... photos on here went when my photobucket account went wobbly Crying or Very sad

I have an envelope stuffed full of old GQ sales literature for the SF rigs. If I come across it I'll scan and post them.

Oh, for those Brits amongst us who remember John Noakes and later Janet Ellis doing their freefall training with the RAF back in the 1970's/80's, the instructors all wore the olive green coverall with the twin, full length zippers as well as the jump instructors helmets. Maybe there's some video footage on Youtube ....... plus the 1982 series called 'Paras' ....... jump school phase.
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:59 am

Easy Gee wrote:
    loski wrote:Hi Gary

Cheers Graham, it kept me busy on a boring Sunday afternoon, quite agree ,it definetly needs some Hessian tied into it,plus the netting is not period I got this from the RCT in the 90's, it needs work, I will get back to the drawing bord and show the results Smile

Gary, you need a proper, tighter helmet net for starters. Then LOTS of scrim. Used to be a guy on ebay selling if specifically for hlemet use. Scrim needs to be long to break up the outline of the helmet. You should end up looking like a monster from a 1970's Dr Who episode Laughing

We were taught to use scrim and local vegetation on our webbing, stuffed into elastics we made ourselves to be pulled up to our thighs and calves and we sewed elastic onto our pouches.

Sadly with the conflicts we've been involved in since 1991, camo has become a lost (or at least dormant) skill within the British Army save for snipers.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Bury_Dave wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:Captioned as an RAF Instructor but given he is wearing WW2 type Windproof Smock+Trs would say more than likely SAS.

If I were going to be picky, I'd say it was a post WW2 manufactured smock Wink

He's in full HALO rig.

There was no different label tag for helmets with O2 clips. It was done by RAF riggers and not that many (relatively speaking) were made at all let alone at one time. Still have my complete sand oversprayed one in my attic for trade if anyone is interested......... photos on here went when my photobucket account went wobbly Crying or Very sad

I have an envelope stuffed full of old GQ sales literature for the SF rigs. If I come across it I'll scan and post them.

Oh, for those Brits amongst us who remember John Noakes and later Janet Ellis doing their freefall training with the RAF back in the 1970's/80's, the instructors all wore the olive green coverall with the twin, full length zippers as well as the jump instructors helmets. Maybe there's some video footage on Youtube ....... plus the 1982 series called 'Paras' ....... jump school phase.

Did say WW2 type Laughing Laughing Laughing

Funny you should mention the 80s Para series,only just finished watching them all on the I player,cracking series,can vaguely remember watching them when first shown(and bought the book). Loads of the guys wearing the early Parachutist helmet with green leather/nylon? neck/chin straps but none of the training type helmet.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Also forgot to mention that the specific helmet net of the period was quite unique in its emerald green colour/construction.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:31 pm