IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
mylle
ripcord
austromunga
7 posters

57' BW splinter jacket

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

57' BW splinter jacket - Page 2 Empty Re: 57' BW splinter jacket

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:49 am

I lost track of this thread for a bit! Found it again on Google while looking for something.

thunderchild wrote:Steve ,thanks for the info regarding the D rings ,I'll look forward to researching the  European Defense Community uniforms in greater detail ,I'm familiar with the Swiss uniform backpack frontal mounting so now it all makes perfect sense ,do you think the double shoulder strap arrangement was to accommodate the proposed equipment too ,

Since the double shoulder strap is an extra expense, I'm sure they intended it for something. One thing the straps are set up for is securing something over the shoulder that is best kept closer to the neck or closer to the shoulder. I'm not sure if there was something in use they thought soldiers would use this way or if it was a feature that had a future planned use (like apparently the D-rings on the chest).

I'll hang onto the ritter canteen ,a shame the coating is so brittle,

Yup, shame. Since this thread started I managed to find one of the "Gross" Ritter canteens on eBay. I was quite happy with the $10 price plus postage I paid! Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we don't. This is one of those times I definitely got lucky!

Steve
    thunderchild
    thunderchild
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2013-04-21
    Number of posts : 344

Post by thunderchild Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:35 am

Thanks for your thoughts on the double shoulder straps Steve and nice score on the Ritter canteen
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Wasnt actively on the hunt for one of those Kokonuss canteen sets but stumbled across a 59 dated set on Ebay UK the other day and is on the way.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 am

thunderchild wrote:
    CollectinSteve wrote:
    mylle wrote:136 Euros for a belt? What a Face affraid

Yeah, I know.  The early BW stuff has become very collectable.  I bet someone would pay EUR 150 for the US type web belt if it can be proven German made.  I have never seen one available for sale.  The suspenders for the Splittertarn trousers (which are NOT camo, but unique to the trousers) come up for sale very rarely and I just checked and 2 years ago one sold for EUR 160.  I kid you not.

There are four carriers for the E-Tool from this period, one of which would probably go for EUR 150.  I've never seen one for sale though I know a few people that have them. There's a British type that I've only seen in a few pictures and in one collection.  That would probably go for big money.  Oddly enough the earlier type that goes on the US style belt had a bunch come onto the market and I don't think people knew what they were at first.  I got one cheap Smile

austromunga wrote:Nice experimental belt Steve!!

That one isn't mine, but thanks anyway Wink  Mine's a little bit better condition.

I managed to pick up a matching early canteen set from a seller on German ebay.....(same seller the early green belt came from!!)..... it was all its money.... but its in super condition and as I said all matching AWS 56!! even down the canvas strap!!

You did very well with the items.  Note that you have a 2nd Model canteen there.  The 1st model (1955 production) is even rarer and looks more like a WW2 type, but with a larger cup and the canteen itself being made out of Bakelite.

Steve
    Hi steve just to show the E tool carriers i have , id be interested to know what the british style carrier looked like if any referance pictures are available 57' BW splinter jacket - Page 2 018_zpshm4hmvp657' BW splinter jacket - Page 2 019_zpsinky4z3t

Managed to pick up one of those early E tool carriers recently and was wondering what would have been in the pop studded pocket?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:20 pm

A good question with a nice and simple answer Smile  A rope saw.  

Here's a picture to give you an idea and a link to a long thread about BW stuff:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240066&page=32

57' BW splinter jacket - Page 2 DSC00405

Note the green leather carrier in the picture. It is identical to the black leather carrier in the previous post, but it is for the Bundeswehr while the black one is for BGS (and probably Polizei forces here and there).

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:53 pm