IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Zedthefed
dynamo.alex
metal73
L.T.Bonham
jimmyduncan23
mylle
ripcord
Geardardo
FobanX
vicka1971
koalorka
APreston
vonstuck
CollectinSteve
filupe
panzerwerk
Philip
21 posters

Estonian stuff

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2823

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Empty Re: Estonian stuff

Post by ripcord Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:40 pm

Hey Steve

Good info again.

I did look under the Velcro of both the foul weather set and the M90 type and found no embroidering.

There is an  AS MIKREL label in the latter set. We need to find a proper name for that uniform...

S

koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Interesting reading. I think I found a photo of the discussed jacket in use:

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Ma6FGj
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:52 pm

Good photo, good research ...

Does not appear to be the  exact same uniform, but very similar.

It has obvious  similarities and a few differences ; probably an earlier version of the  uniform I posted.

Most obvious differences are shoulder  epaulettes instead of frontal rank tab and  lack  of Velcro on chest and shoulders ...

Name tape on right chest  and patches on right shoulder are in effect, but could  be sown on.  

The patrol cap  also seems different from examples I have seen.   Looks like a plain cap, without  faux folds ( or real foldout ear flaps of the earliest cap design).

It also appears to have a metal  cockade, as opposed to  sow on cockade. All very interesting...

Thanks for posting..

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:58 pm

Awesome! For sure that is one of the Estguard jackets. Great to see a picture of one in use.

I just landed another set of Estguard trousers bade by AS MIKREL. This is similar to type that Rip has which is distinct because the reinforcements at the leg cuffs are camouflage cloth instead of green nylon. However, his has a button for the fly and mine has a metal hook.

So it seems there are lots of little variations. To me this indicates that several very small batches were made instead of one small batch.

Steve

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Rip, we cross posted Very Happy

Following up with my comments about the small batches. There appears to be two distinctly different AS MIKREL uniforms:

1. Made from more-or-less standard military cotton cloth. Chest epaulette instead of shoulders. Camo ankle reinforcements instead of green nylon.

2. Made from polyester type cloth. Shoulder epaulettes and not anything on the chest. Embroidered "Estonian Defense Forces" over left breast pocket. Green nylon ankle reinforcements instead of camo.

There also appears to be a "commercial" version with red interior that is made by a different company. Or this was simply a second source for the special issue type.

Steve
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:13 pm

I take it back. The trousers I just got are probably more-or-less the same cloth as the other sets I have, not like the standard issued uniform.

Steve
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:24 pm

Also found an image of the earliest Estonian uniform, from one of their museums:

Estonian stuff - Page 3 H3jzQl

The good ole' Soviet VDV butane/TTsKO. Have also seen evidence of KLMK coveralls being worn by Estonians as late as 1992.
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:27 pm

And some rare uniforms in summer and winter styles:

Estonian stuff - Page 3 ESui5u

Estonian stuff - Page 3 YxbkCc
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:16 am

Great photos ( again ),

Pretty cool mix of winter and summer patterns.

Of particular interest is the early desert pattern.  Looks ( to me ) like it is the same pattern that Steve posted earlier on in this thread...

Steve, thanks for the interesting info you have provided  on the Estguard pieces.

S
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:11 pm

While revisiting  the ( Estguard-2 ) parka post by Raff, I had a thought that the purple satin lining may actually be black and that the purple hue could be the  result of camera flash...

The second photo of the inside of the parka  seems to support my observation....

The parka I posted  has  green lining, and a green liner with a black zippered pocket.

Any opinions ???

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:12 am

From what I can tell the Estguard top is a Jacket (standard), not a Parka (winter). For it to be a Parka I think we would see provisions for a button in liner, which is the standard for Estonian cold weather items. Same thing with the trousers. Though I do see the similarity in tailoring to the (at the time) contemporary winter sets.

The only confirmed picture of this uniform in use, posted by Raff above, is inconclusive. The uniform is being worn in either the Fall or the Spring with only a T-shirt and a light zip neck long sleeve shirt under it. Definitely no winter liner present.

The one Raff posted is fake silk in a deep burgundy color, the others are green cotton/poly. I do not think it is black and only showing up burgundy due to a trick of the light. Check out where the black label is sewn onto the liner. It offers a good color contrast and both are in shadow.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:51 am

Did see that ...there is that purpulish shade in there..

Just thought it may have been a possibility...

S
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Just acquired a very decent smock that is very similar to the one in the photo Koalorca posted on  February 19th..

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Variou10

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Variou12

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Variou14

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Variou15

Seems to be an older version of the one I posted awhile back and below..

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni24

S
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2302

Post by mylle Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Hey Sal,nice stuff you got!!!I just like those jackets.Cool cut. Smile
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:07 am

Thanks Alex,

Definitely a sleeker cut than the usually seen standard shirts/tops..

Seem  functional; mine have  both been  well used...

IMHO standard shirts are more comfortable...

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Variou35

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:31 pm

The material of the last standard issue type certainly is more comfortable.

I've done some more thinking and research on the vertical zip uniform with the leg gaiters. From the info I've managed to find, it appears that these uniforms were unique to Kaitseliit (Defense League) sometime in the early 2000s. The Defense League is similar to the US National Guard with the addition of a local youth/recruiting component. It appears that personnel from the Defense League were members of the ESTGUARD-2 deployment to Bosnia and they wore their unique uniforms for that deployment. But sometime after that they started being issued standard military clothing.

Which means these uniforms are unique to the Defense League, but not unique to ESTGUARD-2. which explains why there are so many of these floating around compared to the roughly 80 members of ESTGUARD-2. It also explains the subtle differences between different individual pieces. They must have produced them in fairly small batches over a couple of years.

I still wonder if the examples with the Eesti Kaitsevägi (Estonian Defense Forces) embroidery are "issued" or "private purchase".

Steve

koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Here's another winter set, in the conventional army cut.

Estonian stuff - Page 3 YRhrbG

Estonian stuff - Page 3 NUKhwO

Would this qualify as a 1990s piece?
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:09 pm

I have a pair of the same trousers...

Crappy photo of the label, but it is dated 1999 so guess it may be considered a '90s piece...

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni11

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni14

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni15

S
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:37 pm

2  other foul weather/winter sets arrived recently.

One is virtually identical to the one I already posted and in new conditions , the other set consists of an older ( 2005 ) parka, and newer trousers ( 2010 ).  
     Trousers have the 3 lion logo and are quite different from the older type; seems  they were issued at the same time  some digital patterns were being issued.

Have tarted up the first of the two only to photograph it.   Since I will wear it next winter, the patches will come off.

The other set has no liner and green cotton lining.   Looks to have been used and has good honest wear.  

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni18

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni19

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni20

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni21

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni22

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni23

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni24

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Estoni25

Alex has already claimed one set...

S
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2302

Post by mylle Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Starting to like this foul weather stuff more and more.Good find Sal! Very Happy
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:59 am

Sal, great badges on the "tarted up" parka. Those are consistent with ESTGUARD-2 rotation. I don't remember if they are valid for either of the other two missions, but I am guessing yes.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:28 am

Thanks Steve.

Does look good badged.
    The flag is original to the uniform. Patches came with some other Estonian uniforms.
    I am pretty certain this is correct.

S

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:47 am

The flag was for a long time the responsibility of the soldiers to stitch on, so the type and precise location can vary. At some point they started putting them on at the factory. I can't remember if my 2006 winter set (unissued) came with a flag or not, I don't remember.

As for the two other badges, they are for EU and the other is for the EURFOR Battalion. It is correct that both were worn in Bosnia, though the pics I have show the standard round EU badge. I'm sure there's something specific about who wore which type for which rotation, but I certainly don't know Very Happy Either way ESTGUARD-2 was in 2006 and there was for sure an ESTGUARD-3, so a 2006 dated uniform works fine for that.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:56 pm

This morning a "lost " package arrived.

Thought this package had  gone missing for good; what a  surprise to see my poor mailman drag the big ass box out of his van..

Would have been a real pity to have lost this one...

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Lost_p36

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Lost_p37

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Lost_p38

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Lost_p39

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Lost_p40

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Lost_p41

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Lost_p42

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Lost_p43

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Lost_p44

Estonian stuff - Page 3 Lost_p45

More posts of this wonderful hoard  soon...

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Fantastic additions! I think someone has found a source that rivals my own. And that is saying something Very Happy

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:14 pm